Bruce's Facebook
Paul's Facebook
Richard's Facebook
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Jazma
 Jazma Interviews
 Jeremy & Daniel Lehrer/The LehrerBoys

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Richv1 Posted - 06/20/2017 : 06:59:32 AM

Jeremy & Daniel Lehrer/The LehrerBoys
Cartoonists/Animators for Highly Gifted
Published by: Maker Studios
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 20/06/2017
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lehrerboys/?hl=en
LehrerBoys Shap: https://www.lehrerboysshop.com/

Jeremy Lehrer:

Rich: Where did the idea for "Highly Gifted" come from?

Jeremy: I wish I could say it came from a place that had nothing to do with our actual lives, but, sadly it came from a place that is our actual lives.

Rich: How would you describe the animation style in "Highly Gifted"?

Jeremy: Corey Campodonico and his amazing team at Shadow Machine did a fantastic job of bringing our drawing style to life in the episodes. Our drawing style is the opposite of smooth and professional. It’s agitated and shaky and neither of us can draw a straight line to save our lives. If you like smooth and perfect and cute then we’re probably not for you.

Rich: How many episodes of "Highly Gifted" do you have planned out?

Jeremy: Well, we have 20 shorts that are finished.

Rich: Why should someone watch "Highly Gifted"?

Jeremy: Because my twin brother informs me that they are “hilarious” and “the greatest artistic creation ever.” His words. Not mine.

Rich: What will we find on Instagram as far as your Daily comic strip posts?

Jeremy: You will find a peek into our brains. The subject matter glides over all the things we find interesting and/or not interesting in the universe. If you follow us, the contours and rhythm of our mind will become clear, and you will eventually realize that you are dealing with two idiots. At that point you will most likely unfollow or block us.

Rich: Have you ever used President Trump in any posts?

Jeremy: The Donaldo has made a number of guest appearances in our posts, although we are not by any means exclusively “political.” Don posts have a tendency to be big hitters.

Rich: What has been your funniest creation?

Jeremy: I think Daniel would have to agree that the funniest creations are the ones that are thought up and/or drawn by JEREMY.

Rich: Would you like to see "Highly Gifted" as a full length real life movie?

Jeremy: Probably not. For me, what was interesting and painful about high school is that there were no big lessons or wrap-up to it. The idea of making a movie that has to wrap things up or show how the characters learned something in some way is not particularly appealing. I wrapped nothing up and learned nothing about myself in high school and I intend to be true to that. Unless someone offers me a lot of money to make a movie of course. Then it’s a great idea.

Rich: What do you have planned next?

Jeremy: We have a couple shows in the works with some people you’ve probably heard of, but can’t really discuss them yet. Hopefully news to come soon.

Rich: How are a comic strip and a comic book different?

Jeremy: Well, its kind of the difference between serial and episodic (fyi: this is a conversation that inept tv executives love to have when they don’t what to ask about the content). A comic strip kind of has to “restart” every time. Whatever happened last week is magically erased or forgotten the next week. A comic book goes deeper and the characters and world have a sort of institutional memory.

Rich: How did you develop your wit and infuse it into your cartoons?

Jeremy: It was developed by growing up in an extremely loud and large extended family where only the loudest were heard. We were the loudest. Which is our version of wit.

Rich: What was it like growing up with Daniel?

Jeremy: We were competitive. We were convinced that we were “individuals” and labored under this misapprehension for many years before voltroning our stupidity together.

Rich: Did you ever think you would have the success you have had with Lehrerboys?

Jeremy: We’ve had success???

Rich: Any words for your fans?

Jeremy: Lugubrious. Fecund. Parsimonious. Those are good words. And they are for our fans.

Daniel Lehrer:

Rich: What exactly is "Highly Gifted"?

Daniel: It’s an animated show based on our years being sent to a highly gifted magnet in a bigger tougher high school where we basically learned the extremely important lesson that knowledge is NOT power.

Rich: How did you and Jeremy get various comedians and Kesha to be a part of "Highly Gifted"?

Daniel: We were fortunate that a lot of the actors that we liked seemed to really respond to the scripts.

Rich: Will people be laughing as they watch "Highly Gifted"?

Daniel: Only if they have a sense of humor.

Rich: What is the creative process behind "Highly Gifted"?

Daniel: It was initially written for Maker Studios, who wanted 2 minute shorts. So right off the bat we had our little straight jackets custom tailored by the buyer. After that, we wrote the shorts, cast for talent, and then had a blast in the voice booth with incredibly talented people like Ron Funches, Kesha, Josh Brener, and Nat Faxon.

Rich: Are your Instagram cartoons for anyone or are they of a more mature nature?

Daniel: Well, they’re peppered with genitalia. I believe genitalia are for everyone.

Rich: How would you describe your sense of humor?

Daniel: I probably wouldn’t since describing your sense of humor is never funny, but I will just for you. I would say it’s witty and urbane without being at all elusive and basically just generally awesome. But that’s just my opinion.

Rich: Do you like to use celebrities in your cartoons?

Daniel: Yes, but with a sort of wary eye over my own shoulder. Instagram gives us instant metrics and feedback on likes and comments and engagement. It’s pretty powerful stuff. The danger as a creator is actually listening to it. If you did, you’d just end up with a celebrity parody account.

Rich: What is the creation process to create a cartoon?

Daniel: Squabble with brother. Get a coffee. Return to office. Squabble some more. Have an idea while squabbling. Draw it up. Get another coffee.

Rich: How does one become a cartoonist?

Daniel: Basically by getting super annoyed at executives who say things like “Can you dial it up? Can you dial it back? Can you dial it left? Can you target 18-23 year old Norwegian women?” Here we have our own demographic. Our audience. Our stupidity. No compromises.

Rich: When you work with Jeremy is it at all like working with another you or do you two have different personalities?

Daniel: I’m going to say we have two different personalities because I’d like to read that later in print.

Rich: What can fans buy from your online shop?

Daniel: A phone case with a picture of Kanye having sex with Kanye, taken from our “Kanyesutra” cartoon. A pillow with a pair of breasts in Groucho Marx glasses. A poster of “Chick Norris.” A T-shirt with a “Filet Minion.” You know, the usual stuff.

Rich: What was it like growing up with Jeremy?

Daniel: I’ll let you know when we grow up.

Rich: Do you still read "The Far Side" comic strips?

Daniel: They’re the best. I still think they’re the apex of single panel cartoons ever. The most imaginative, the most unexpected, the greatest sense of a world and voice. In short, no, I don’t.

Rich: Anything to say to those who enjoy your work?

Daniel: Yes. You are clearly people of extraordinary refinement and taste. Congratulations.

Richard Vasseur

Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000