Bruce's Facebook
Paul's Facebook
Richard's Facebook
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Jazma
 Jazma Interviews
 Don Smith, writer: American Defenders:U.S.Army

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Allen Posted - 06/04/2012 : 11:13:44 AM

Interview with: Don Smith
Comic book: Writer
Comic book: "American Defenders: The U.S. Army"
Publisher: Bluewater Productions
Interviewed by: Allen Klingelhoets
Jazma CEO

Allen: Welcome back to Jazma Online, Don Smith. I noticed that you have wrote a new story for Bluewater Productions. How did the concept for American Defenders: The U.S. Army come about?

Don Smith: First, thanks again for interviewing me again, Allen. Jazma has been amazing to me since I became a comic book writer back in 2009 and I have appreciated your interest in my projects.

To get into the heart of it, Darren Davis, the commander-in-chief at Bluewater, and I were debating about what to do next and he suggested doing something about the history of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Allen: What sort of things are you going to tell in American Defenders: The U. S. Army story?

Don Smith: Well, my goal was to discuss the history of the U.S. Army and have it told from the POV of two old style army toy soldiers who more or less “quantum leap” through time explaining the origin of the American Army and how it is today.

Allen: Were you ever a member of the U.S. Army?

Don Smith: Oh, heavens no!

I used to say I would be the best weapon for the enemies of the United States. I am so clumsy that had I picked up a machine gun I probably would end up accidentally wiping out the guys in my unit. It is best that I sit on the sidelines and thank the men who are fighting to keep me free and allow me to write and share their story the rest of the world.

Allen: How did you decide what was going to be in script?

Don Smith: Well, I wanted to focus on major wars such as the American Revolution and the Civil War. But I also wanted to discuss the importance of the Mexican American War, the Spanish American War and, of course, how World War I and World War II set the course of the 20th Century.

To get into the heart of it, Darren Davis, the commander-in-chief at Bluewater, and I were debating about what to do next and he suggested doing something about the history of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Allen: What sort of things are you going to tell in American Defenders: The U. S. Army story?

Don Smith: Well, my goal was to discuss the history of the U.S. Army and have it told from the POV of two old style army toy soldiers who more or less “quantum leap” through time explaining the origin of the American Army and how it is today.

Allen: Will your story be based on recent or really old historical events for U. S. Army? Also, fictional or non-fiction story?

Don Smith: Well I wanted my story to be based on real events that happened. Of course, the soldiers of Joe and Sarge are fictional, but they helped anchor the narrative of the story.

Allen: This is three part question. Will this story be educational? Will the story be used as recruitment device? What kind of message is in "American Defenders: The U.S. Army" comic book?

Don Smith: To be honest, I had it in my mind for it to be educational - for anyone to pick up and read and enjoy. As for it being a recruitment device, that was never my intention. If anything, my goal with the comic was to show that we as Americans have a lot to be thankful for because the American soldiers were willing to leave their homes and families and die for their country.

If anything, I hope it will recruit for “soldier appreciation services” like the U.S.O. or group like that.

Allen: How many pages are in "American Defenders: The U.S. Army" story?

Don Smith: The story is the size of the average comic book. I wanted it small enough for anyone to enjoy quickly and I wanted to be something that was not as dry as an encyclopedia entry.

Allen: Have you dedicated comics to any one?

Don Smith: I dedicated “Jesus Christ: Faith Series”* to my wife’s big-hearted father, Donald Holmes, who passed away in 2012. But this book was different, so I didn’t dedicate it to anyone.

Allen: Tell me about artist Jeff Wester.*(The artist for American Defenders: The U.S. Army comic book).

Don Smith: Jeff has been an amazing artist to work with! I have been very pleased with what he provided for this comic. He really brought my army guys Joe and Sarge to life.

Allen: What is best way to read or buy "American Defenders: The U. S. Army" comic book?

Don Smith: One of the best ways to check out the comic is to purchase it through the amazing Comic Flea Market site. They can see it here:

http://www.comicfleamarket.com/servlet/the-93/American-Defenders-cln--U.S.-Army/Detail

Allen: Do you plan on writing any more American Defenders stories?

Don Smith: Actually, I have written ones for the Marines, Navy and Air Force. Right now we are just waiting for the artist to finish with them.

Allen: What other types of comic books do you plan to write? Or what other projects are you working on?

Don Smith: For me personally, I am working on a project around a certain U.S. President and something fun that may or may not have happened (wink, wink); I am also working on a project related to a certain famous vampire, and my current project I am writing deals with a bunch of zombies.

Allen: I'll have to check back with you later on President project. Tell me more about zombie project.

Don Smith: Remember my friend, Linda Zimmermann?* She wrote a zombie novel and I am working with some talented artists and writers to turn it into an anthology. It will be called the “HVZA: Hudson Valley Zombie Apocalypse” Anthology. Folks can learn more about it here,
http://hvzombie.com/

Allen: What are some of your favorite zombie movies?

Don Smith: Before Linda's book, I had never been a big zombie person. I mean my favorite zombie is “Sean of the Dead” and I really have fun with the “Resident Evil” movies, but those are not traditional movies.Though, I really, really like “The Walking Dead” - that series is a blast!

Allen: Just a couple quick questions for others that have not read our other interviews. How old are you? When's your birthday? Where do you live? How long have you worked in comic book industry?

Don Smith: As of this writing I am 37 years old, and my birthday is Aug. 13. This next one I will be 38 and I can smell 40 is in the air! I live in Passaic County, New Jersey with my wife, Laura, and three cats and I have worked in comic books since 2009.

Allen: What are some comic books you read at present time?

Don Smith: First, I am a huge sucker for independent and self-published comic books! I am constantly seeing what is out there.

Regularly, I am reading “Aquaman” from DC and “The Scarlet Spider” from Marvel. Also, I am totally geeking out over “Star Trek the Next Generation/Doctor Who” comic book.

Allen: Do you have any appearances planned to promote "American Defenders: The U.S. Army" comic book?

Don Smith: Well I will be appearing at a bunch of places. In the foreseeable future I plan on giving a talk about self-publishing comic books at the Super Heroes for Hospice event here in New Jersey. Here is the link: http://www.barnabashealth.org/hospitals/hospice/comic/
and I believe I will be at the Great Allentown (PA) Comic Convention in August and they can see the info here:http://www.allentowncomiccon.com/

Allen: What is the best way to contact you?

Don Smith: The best way is to visit my site at http://donsmithwrites.blogspot.com
There is a “contact me” section.

Allen: What kinds of movies do you look forward to seeing this summer?

Don Smith: I am totally geeking out over the “Avengers” movie. I have seen it three times and I am curious to see “The Dark Knight Rises” of course. I am also excited to see the updated “Superman” movie with Henry Cavill.

Allen: Thank you, Don Smith, for another great interview. Would you like to leave Jazma readers with some closing thoughts about "American Defenders: The U.S Army" comic book?

Don Smith: Thank you so much, Allen, Jazma has always been kind to me and I am thrilled to be a part of your site! As for closing thoughts, I hope when people read it they do remember this comic is about highlighting the men and women who have left home and risk life and limb for their country and it is because of them, I am able to write comic books.

*Don Smith- Jesus Christ comic interview link.
http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1482

*Linda Zimmerman interview link.
http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4123

Don E. Smith Jr.
comic book and freelance writer & author
donsmithwrites.blogspot.com

Jazma Field Marshal

Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000