Bruce's Facebook
Paul's Facebook
Richard's Facebook
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Jazma
 Jazma Interviews
 Drew Ford Creator/Writer Freakestate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Richv1 Posted - 09/04/2013 : 2:39:40 PM

Drew Ford
Creator/Writer for Freakestate
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 04/09/2013

Rich: How did the idea for "Freakestate" come about?

Drew: The idea for Freakestate came about from my desire to create something which would be my little contribution to the crime comics genre that I love so much!

Rich: What is the basic storyline?

Drew: FREAKESTATE is a period piece set in 1933 small town USA, it is best described as American Gothic noir, with a little Saturday Afternoon Matinee thrown in. A murder mystery with a terrible twist!

Rich: What time period does the story take place in and why is it important?

Drew: The story, as mentioned above, is set in 1933. It's not important so much as it is enjoyable for me, as I love period piece stuff so much!

Rich: How did you get Gerald Forton onboard?

Drew: I was lucky enough to meet Gerald while finishing the first section of the script for FREAKESTATE. After seeing his artwork, I knew it would be a perfect fit, and I was incredibly lucky because he agreed and decided to jump on board. I will always be grateful to Gerald Forton for believing in my story.

Rich: Who are a few of the characters we will see in the pages of "Freakestate"?

Drew: Oh, I don't want to give away too much. But we do have a teenage, sexually confused, serial killer...who also happens to be the leader of a murderous cult...so yeah, not yer average Joe.

Rich: Why have this comic in black & white is it just a cost decision and is the cost between B&W and color a lot?

Drew: The decision to present FREAKESTATE is B&W had nothing to do with cost. For me, and Gerald, the whole thing just works better as a Film noir American Gothic period piece, if it's presented in B&W.

Rich: In "Freakestate" which character are you most like?

Drew: Great question...but not one that I'm ready to answer just yet. Maybe after it's out, and I've had some time to really think about it in hindsight.

Rich: You worked on the "RIB" from Calibur Comics why did you enjoy it?

Drew: RIB was an incredibly fun project, and I really enjoyed working with both the artist Mike Kelleher and the editor Joe Pruett...the awesome guy who actually gave me my start in comics.

Rich: What was the "The 10 Percent" all about?

Drew: Here is the logline...In a cold chamber beneath the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, a time travel experiment goes horribly wrong, temporarily ripping open a portal, sending approximately ten percent of the local population to an alternate earth.

Rich: At Dark Horse you helped create "Steam" what is the story here and why should people pick it up?

Drew: Well, first off, STEAM won't be out probably until next year. But, of course I definitely hope people will give it a shot! The STEAM graphic novel follows the journey of Arlo, a ten year old boy, who opens a portal transporting him to the steam-powered world of Pother. I guess you could say it's a more contemporary take on the steam punk genre...if that makes any sense.

Rich: What do you think about Kickstarter?

Drew: I think Kickstarter can work great for some people, but not so well for others. I guess it depends on the projects, and sometimes on who is launching said projects. It seems a lot more celebrities are using it to launch new projects, and that is fine, but whether this is helping or hurting an average Joe trying to launch their own project remains to be seen.

Rich: If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Drew: The ability to eat all the junk food I want, and not gain weight or have it affect my health in any way! :)

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Drew: Anyone wishes to contact me can send an e-mail to: drewfordcomics@gmail.com

Rich: Any words for the readers who have picked up your comics?

Drew: For anyone who was gracious enough to pick up something I have written, I would offer my heartfelt thanks. I really appreciate the support.

Richard Vasseur

Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000