Bruce's Facebook
Paul's Facebook
Richard's Facebook
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reviews
 Reviews by Allen Klingelhoets
 The Gift # 8 "Sacrifices" 2003 review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Allen Posted - 11/19/2013 : 11:56:40 AM

The Gift # 8
Author "Raven Gregory"
Publisher "Image Comics"
Cost: 2.99 Year: 2003

I was just recalling this old story by Raven Gregory. He wrote this rather interesting story called "Sacrifices". The story dealt with a Father that sacrificed every thing to tell a story called The Gift. I feel Raven was talking about himself. He fictionalized some parts of story. The child in story was named Jaylon. That also was Raven Gregory's child's name in real life. The main character recalled seeing his own Father die in horrible work related accident. These images haunted Father as he himself became Father to Jaylon. The accident happened when person was also child. Image of construction accident haunted man into adult life. He became consumed with story about Enoch. He did not notice terrible stress going into world of "The Gift" was causing on his wife and child. He did not notice when his infant child Jaylon got a cough. The cough got worse and took the child's life. The artist drew the images at funeral at cemetery. Enoch was in group of mourners. Enoch is character from Bible. His origin has not yet been given in story. This will not happen until issue # 14.
The Father loses wife. She left him when he distanced her with terrible pushing away words. He became lost in misery and depression. I think that was when Enoch came and said "There is a reason". There was a really sad full page picture of Enoch standing behind suicidal Fathers chair. I think Father took overdose of pills.
Something magical and miracle like happened. Enoch used power to change Fathers life with Jaylon. Jaylon was alive! It was a true sacrifice. The story ended with Jaylon's Mother reading him story of "The Gift". This was the same story that his Father had been working so hard to finish.
I had tears in my eyes when I read this self contained one issue story. It could be read separate from other issues. It did help though to read other issues.
The artist was Christina Lopez.

The Gift was a 14 issue story. I think Raven intended on writing more of story. He just got busy with other projects at Zenescope. Raven Gregory is Executive Editor now at Zenescope Entertainment.
I also was honored to have my niece Kathy Falk be part of story letter page. Kathy Falk was three at time. Raven Gregory even dedicated issue to her. Kathy has genetic condition called Rett Syndrome. Kathy had two pages wrote about her in letter pages. I was honored to be part of process to bring awareness about Kathy to Raven Gregory. Kathy little later even had her picture in another image comic book called Lions, Tigers and Bears series one, issue 2. Many people attempted to help Kathy. I am proud to say that Kathy is now a teen-ager. She still has Rett Syndrome. I think somewhere inside she is thankful for Raven Gregory and others in comic book industry that have attempted to help her. She is loved by my family and me. We all made tremendous sacrifices for her. My sister still has Caring Bridge website for Kathy. If want to learn about Rett Syndrome just go to IRSA website.
Issue # 8 WAS also republished in Graphic novel format from Image comics. This was long time ago. I really do not know if still in print.

Jazma Field Marshal

Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000