Bruce's Facebook
Paul's Facebook
Richard's Facebook
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reviews
 Reviews by Allen Klingelhoets
 Stephen King: Orbit # 1, Bluewater Productions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Allen Posted - 05/22/2015 : 3:02:55 PM

Comic book name: Stephen King: Orbit # 1
Publisher: Bluewater Productions
Writers: Michael Lent and Brian McCarthy
Penciler: Kent Hurlburt
Publication date: May 2011
Cost: 3.99
ISBN-13: 978-1450756686
www.bluewaterprod.com
Review by: Allen Klingelhoets

I found this comic in bargain bin at local comic book store in my area. I like to read Stephen King novels. I was happy to see Bluewater Productions had an idea for story about author Stephen King.
The comic book story started with accident near Stephen King's home near Lovell, Maine. This accident happened while Stephen King was on his daily four mile walk on a perfectly fine summer afternoon on June 19th, 1999.
The driver of van was distracted by his dog, Bullet. He hit the walking Stephen King and caused great bodily damage. Stephen King required many operations and rehabilitation. The story is told through eyes of third person narrator. We see Stephen King horribly injured from injury with van. He was at time one of the world's most successful living authors in the world. It was questionable if he would survive accident. I was sad how events in Stephen's childhood helped shape his life. His father left family while Stephen was still child. His Mother Ruth raised Stephen and his older adopted brother David by herself.
Stephen was influenced person that got hit by train. I guessed death of person influenced Stephen King to years later write novella "The Body". Stephen as youth saw kid get hit by train. He mentioned in comic book story that he could not recall details of the event except that they happened.
Stephen King had an uncle who could find water underground...by using a stick. Stephen knew when he began to write stories that calling in life became clear. He was young in life and drowsing rod suddenly went down hard.
The story went on to tell how Stephen King almost lost his hearing due to fact had ear infections. His ear drums were repeatedly punctured by needles from doctor. Stephen Edwin King missed almost a of school. He started to write to pass the time. His Mother paid him for his first story. She gave Stephen quarter for each story wrote.
The story told how Stephen was influenced by double-feature movies. He also read lots of other books before and also writing short stories. He was seventeen when he had his first story independently published "I was a Teenage Grave Robber", serialized over three published and one unpublished issue of a fanzine, comics
review in 1965. Stephen King life as professional writer had been born. Not bad for someone born only on September 21, 1947.
The story gives insights to early life of Stephen King after his graduation from Lisbon Falls, Maine high school in 1966. He enrolled as freshman at the University of Maine, Orono campus. Orbit story also talked about some of Stephen's early jobs which influenced some of his early short stories. I liked learning how Stephen was 4-F from armed forces. He also first met his with Tabitha Spruce while at Orono. They were married on January 2, 1971. They had three children in marriage. Orbit story told how Tabitha helped Stephen with details of his first published novel called "Carrie". Stephen lost his Mother in 1974. She got to hear novel before passing away from uterine cancer. The story talks about Stephen Kings prolific ability to write stories. It also talked about Stephen's problems with alcohol and various drugs. Family intervention was needed. He has been sober since late 1980's. His life changed for better. He even sang songs for group not named in story. It though was group called Rock Bottom Remainders.
The comic book story tells why Stephen King writes stories. It talks about his family. It even alludes to Richard Bachman stories that he wrote like "The Running Man".
Story talks surgeries after being hit by van. It also talks about what happened to van. Stephen King bought van and had it crushed at a junkyard. This was year of physical therapy. He struggled to write. Stephen was in constant pain from injuries. Stephen received in 2003 National Book Foundation Metal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. Stephen Kings first born daughter is named Naomi Rachel King. Joe Hill King and Owen king were born next. Joe and Owen also write novels and short stories. Naomi is a minister.
I want to quote end of story about why Stephen King writes stories.
"I was made to write stories and I love to write stories, that's why I do it. I can't imagine doing anything else and I can't imagine not doing what I do.. it is, at bottom, a dance of dreams. It's a way of awakening the child inside, who never dies but only sleeps ever so deeply. If the horror story is the rehearsal for death, then it's strict moralities make it also a reaffirmation of life and good will and simple imagination - just one more pipeline to the infinite. The comic book story ends with a drawing of Stephen King signing story Dedicated to you, The Reader.
Best wishes! Stephen King.

I really enjoyed this comic book story. I read several times since getting from "Bargain Bin".
I would though suggest book by Bev Vincent about Stephen King. This book is called "The Stephen King Illustrated Companion". I would also suggest book from Cemetery Dance Publication about Stephen King's works. This book is called "Stephen King: Collected Unpublished". I do though really appreciate Bluewater Publications for writing story about the still prolific author Stephen King. Thank you to Publisher Darren G. Davis for publishing Orbit story about Stephen King. It felt to me like Stephen King gave input or insights to Michael Lent and Brian McCarthy script.
I am so very thankful that Stephen King did not die when hit by van driven by Bryan Smith.

Jazma Field Marshal

Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000