MOE Sidenote: Shatter by First Comics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silhouet98
Jazma President

USA
2178 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  4:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Silhouet98's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share
What is amazing on how comics come and go. What was exciting ten years ago, has faded into the realm of comic book limbo. But, I am not going to be the one talking about it, I will allow my own creation The Legendary Dark Silhouette talk about comics. Take it away Silhouette. Silhouette: Not a problem Paul. Yes, I have seen many comics come and go and it's kind of sad. You get used to the character, you get to know the character and then voila...the series is ended and the character is passed onto limbo. For example, I went with Paul over to A1 Comics and watched Paul pick out some comics from the quarter bin. Paul usually gives the comics away to his young family members. The quarter bin comics Paul picked up were: Shatter #1 & #2 by First Comics. This comic made claim that they were the first computerized comic book. For some reason, I have a hard time believing that. Other quarter bin comics were: Coyote #1 by Epic Comics; Phantom Force #1 by Image (Remember these guys? They were brought to life by Image and were originally created by legendary Jack Kirby!); Mai, The Psychic Girl by Viz Comics (They had a funny way of advertising the Psychic Girl, the ad would read: "She is Pretty, She is Psychic, She is Japanese!"); Shuriken #1 Winter 1985 by Victory Productions (Reggie Byers writes an editorial on the back of the front cover and he is excited to see his idea published and feels Shuriken will go far. I must admit Shuriken looked hot, but where is she now?); Propeller Man #5 of 8 by Dark Horse Comics (Hey, this guy was cool, I want to see him come back!); Deathwatch 2000 Hybrids by Continuity Comics (Where are these superheroes and what happened to the company that produced the comics?); Genetix vs. Gene Dogs by Marvel Comics (Did these guys ever officially become part of the Marvel Universe?); Super Soldiers #8 Marvel Comics. Of course, Paul found some great Image Comics whose characters pop up here and there, they are: Zealot #3 by Image; Celestine #2 by Image; Maxi Mage #1 by Image and Lady Pendragon by Maximum Press (Lady Pendragon is an example of the Liefeld era of Comics).

Now with great comic book movies like The Spirit, The Watchmen in the movie theaters. Hollywood is clamoring to the comic book stores to find what comic is hot. What is unfortunate is that Hollywood producers can't stay away from the Graphic Comics, if they took their sweet time and looked on the comic book shelves, they would find Dog Eaters #1 of 6 by Dabel Brothers, Dead Irons by Dynamite; Frank Frazetta's Moon Maid by Image (the artwork in this comic book is eye candy for the soul!); Four Eyes #2 by Image; Brenden DeNeen Paul Green Flash Gordon 4 by King Features Syndicate (Flash Gordon lives on forever in this excellent series!); Firebreather 4 by Image (What compelling science fiction!); Fire & Brimstone #4 by Antarctic Press; Johnny Monster #2 of 3 by Image (In this particular issue we have a fun crossover with the Firebreather!); Hybrid #4 Jan 09 by Studio 407; I am Legion - The Dancing Faun #1 of 6 by DDP (Demonic elements are here!); Warren Ellis Anna Mercury #5 by Avatar (This comic book says that red-haired women are adventurous!); Amber Atoms #2 by Image (More red-hair with a touch of Buck Rogers meets Indiana Jones!); Buckaroo Banzai #2 by Moonstone (I love Buckaroo!). Now I want to know will all of the comics mentioned above have a long life or will one day the characters, the stories will fade into limbo and I will be picking up these hot comics in the quarter bin?

Comics that seem to have a long enduring life so far in the independent realm are: BPRD, I found BPRD #2 on the racks today and was amazed at the story. A paranormal outfit like BPRD face down with soldiers and terrifying frogs! Also, picked up: The Astounding Wolf-Man #12 (In this issue, Wolf-Man goes beserk when his forest is violated and Gary Hampton is arrested in the cemetery!); Savage Dragon #145 (This is when the Savage Dragon endorsed Obama and put him over the top. Because of the Savage Dragon, Obama is our President!).

The Astouding Wolf-Man seems to have that appeal to stay on for a long, long time. BPRD and Savage Dragon will be here forever, along with many superhero icons from the DC Universe and Marvel Universe. Icons like Wolverine that will have his own movie. I saw the preview of Wolverine and was totally amazed how movie production has finally caught up with the imagination of comic book creators. Soon, I will have my own movie out and you can see the first movie poster at www.jazmaonline.com

Signing off,

The Legendary Dark Silhouette
(In collaboration with Paul Dale Roberts)
pauld5606@comcast.net
916 203 7503
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000