Randy Queen Writer/Penciler Top Cow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6350 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Randy Queen
Writer/Penciler for The Darkness - Darkchylde: Kingdon Pain
Published by: Top Cow
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 06/24/2010

Rich: For those who don't know who Ariel Chylde is can you enlighten us?

Randy:Ariel Chylde is a beautiful girl who can physically become any of the creatures from her many recurring nightmares.

She's got a heart of gold but the things she can become will tear you to shreds in a second. In Hollywood-speak, it's Carrie meets The Thing. And it's completely badass.

Rich:How did you end up teaming Darkchylde with The Darkness?

Randy:It was an organic business decision that made sense in the room. A happy accident. I'd been discussing crossover opportunities with other companies, but there couldn't have been a more perfect accomplice in The Darkness. Top Cow was beyond terrific in letting me explore new visual cues for his armor, and it made sense for the story and made things a little more interesting I think. Always go for interesting.

Rich:What makes Jackie's new armor different?

Randy:It's all black, and slightly creepier. With Darkling bones fossilized in it like dinosaurs trapped in tar. It looks like it was sculpted in solid shadow, which makes sense for a guy called the Darkness.

Rich:What makes your writing style stand out from the crowd?

Randy:You'd have to ask someone who enjoys it. But I always try to be as lyrical as I can, and establish an immediate relatability despite the fantastic subject matter.

Rich:Why do you think Darkchylde has a huge female fan following?

Randy:I am extremely sensitive and observational, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Also, Darkchylde is not about super heroes -- but instead, about a very haunted young lady who has a good heart. I am looking into doing some young adult novels with Ariel and I think that would be a complimentary avenue.

Rich:Will we be seeing any more comics with Darkchylde in them?

Randy:It seems likely. People know about her, which is an incredibly difficult task to accomplish if you're not subsidized by Time Warner, you know? And I'm getting the best reviews I've ever gotten in my career. The plan was to return with Starfall and do something different, but Ariel sort of snuck in there and cut the line. She has a life of her own; and Iím just trying to be a good custodian. I've certainly made plenty of the necessary sacrifices for her.

Rich:What comic issue are you most proud of creating and why?

Randy:Darkchylde # 1 because it established everything, and this last Darkness/Darkchylde book because it was extremely personal on multiple fronts. I think the writing and art are well crafted, and to put what we put on that many pages at that level of craftsmanship is a pretty large mountain to climb. We made the decision to not just produce a product for a check, but to produce something special instead, and I think we did. And now we'll always have that.

Rich:How do you feel the Darkchylde statue has turned out?

Randy:We're still refining for perfection at the factory, but I think it's a beautiful, provocative piece. Very interesting visually, and definitely has it's own identity from the glut of other statues. The sideshow exclusive is sold out, but the primary edition is still available in small quantities and is available here: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/listing.php?search=900917&flex=y

Rich:Why are you excited about "Starfall"?

Randy:It's fairly original, and combines my love of the jungle and a space adventure. If we can get it done, it will be a career watermark I have no doubt. This story is as hard wired into my personal artistic DNA as they ever come. I think when it's done people will be asking when I will get back to Starfall. Fans can sign up to our mailing list at www.starfallcomic.com and of course please visit the boards at topcow.com

Rich:Will "Starfall" be an action-oriented comic?

Randy:Yes, but action without motive, thought or introspection gets dull pretty quick. Starfall is the antithesis of dull.

Rich:Do you enjoy doing commissions?

Randy:I enjoy making fans happy, and when you get a positive response, it's gladdening.

Rich:What do you do to relax?

Randy:Gosh, I kind of don't. I enjoy watching John Carpenter films and having chocolate. I also like to browse ebay for vintage Halloween toys -- none of which I ever buy.

Rich:How can someone contact you?

Randy:Cup your hands to your mouth and yell out the window really, really loud. Then give me an appropriate amount of time to respond. Or I can be reached via email in the bio section of www.darkchylde.com

Rich:Any words for your fans?

Randy:Thank you for your love, interest and support. And my favorite color is probably blue.

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000