Matty Carvajal,singer,Kids of Widney High
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  11:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Interview with Matty Carvajal
Singer
The Kids of Widney High
Also Spider - Fairy in The Kids of Widney High comic book Published by: Atomic Basement
Interviewed by: Allen Klingelhoets
www.jazmaonline.com
This interview was completed with help of KOWH member Vince Licassi. Thank you Vince for making this interview with Matty Carvajal possible. The photos are credited to Erin Williams.
Allen

Allen: It is honor to interview you Matty Carvajal. How long have you been member of The Kids of Widney High music group?

Matty: Whehh! Iíve been in the group since 1996.

Allen: When is the last music concert you appeared at?
Matty: About a year ago

Allen: I noticed you are wheel chair bound. Has this been life long situation?

Matty: Iíve been in the wheelchair forever. Since I was a baby.

Allen: Is your wheel chair motorized or non-motorized?

Matty: Motorized. But I have manual (too), itís easier to get around if someone pushes me and it gets into the car easier.

Allen: Tell who influenced you to sing music at Widney High?

Matty: I donít knowÖI think God did.

Allen: When did you graduate from Widney High?

Matty: 8 years ago.

Allen: What made you decide to join KOWH music group?

Matty: I felt that I was supposed to be there. The office at Widney put me in the music class and that is when I met Michael (Monagan, teacher)

Allen: Have you always sung for group. Or did you also help group with other tasks?

Matty: I also helped the group with other things, like making the songs.

Allen: Do you also write songs for group?

Matty: Valentines and Misunderstood. Misunderstood [the set of lyrics] is in the book, One World, One Nation. It was sent to the United Nations [2nd International Exhibition of the Heart. Published 2001 by NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation)]

Allen: Tell me about song "Valentine's Day" song. Vince Licassi mentioned to me that the song was referenced in KOWH comic book.

Matty: Actually I was thinking about my birthday [it is 2/14]; everyone [in the class] was thinking of writing a song for Valentines that day.

Allen: How did it feel to be drawn as a character for KOWH comic book?

Matty: It feels very good. I feel like a real character. I was very surprised that I made that up. I didnít think I was going to say that.

Allen: How did idea for Spider-Fairy happen?

Matty: I donít know it just happened all of a sudden, I didnít really plan it.

Allen: Tell me about Spider-Fairy.

Matty: She can use her powers to stop bad guys.

Allen: Vince sent me copy of KOWH. I felt an inspirational feel for "The Kid's of Widney High: Beyond the Sky's the Limit!" story. I really got that feeling from words wrote for your character. Did you have input into your comic book character?

Matty: Yes, I said the words and thought of the idea for the character. I try to say positive things in my life, too.

Allen: Tell me about song "Miss Understood."

Matty: It just came out. A lot of people talk [bad] about disabled and thatís not right.

Allen: Do you read any comic books at present time? Did you read any comic books in your youth?

Matty: When I was young, yeah; I donít remember which, I just looked at the pictures [Note: Matty doesnít read]

Allen: Did you like to watch cartoons? What were some of your favorite characters?

Matty: My favorite character was the Berenstain Bears and the Care Bears when I was little. And Cinderella.

Allen: If you could have any super power which one would you like to have?

Matty: I would have my strength power.

Allen: What do you feel is the most rewarding thing for you going to The Kids of Widney High concerts?

Matty: I just feel happy and I like to make people feel happy

Allen: How is your health at present time?

Matty: didnít get to this

Allen: Have you been able to record any new music?

Matty: didnít get to this

Allen: What would you like to say to others that have never heard KOWH music?

Matty: I would say listen to my CD to see if you like. Because it has a lot of meaning about life.

Allen: How has playing in group changed your life?

Matty: I changed my life to help people. It made it better like into an adult. It helped me during the time when I lost my brother. [Matty's mom was there and reminded us that Matty's brother was hung to death from a telephone pole right down her street (in Los Angeles) by gang members.]

Allen: Do you have much contact with group when not playing concerts. Are group really tight on communication with you?

Matty: I talk to some of them sometime but it is rare [note: she talked to Daniel on the phone after I (Vince) got there and he asked for her #]. When there are gigs we talk more, it brings us together.

Allen: What are some of the things you like to do Matty to relax?

Matty: I look at the fish tank, listen to soft, relaxing music, I look out the Window. [Matty starts giggling as she sings the start to the KOWH song, "Look Out Your Window."]

Allen: Would you like to again appear in comic book story?

Matty: Maybe.

Allen: What is best way to contact you or the group?

Matty: You can go to the website [kidsofwidneyhigh.com] or contact Vince

Allen: I feel this is good place to end interview. Tony Whitfield gave information about Widney High school. I will provide link to Tony's interview*. I have learned lots of about KOWH. I really think group is inspiration to all special needs citizens. I really appreciate that I have been able to read The Kids of Widney High comic book. Would you like to close out interview Matty with any closing thoughts about KOWH?

Matty: Thank you for interviewing me for this review.

Allen: If want Matty please provide any youtube links with your participation with KOWH. That would be great way to end interview.

Matty: didnít get to this but here are the two I (Vince)sent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDFvycx69s&feature=PlayList&p=F44A75C48B33A2B9&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02Uv9kAkTY&feature=related

[/size=3]

* Tony Whitfield interview
http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1968

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000