Dave Ryan Creator/Writer/Artist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6703 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  03:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Dave Ryan
Creator/Writer/Artist for War of the Independents
Published by: Red Anvil
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 11/12/2010

Rich: How did you make your start in the comics field?

Dave: At the Philly Comic Con I 1992 I met the crew of Sanctuary Press and after a review of my portfolio I got a chance to do a pin-up in issue #1, which was my first published comic book work. I continued to work with Sanctuary Press through their two additional issues as well.

Rich: How was "War of the Independents" conceived?

Dave: Back in 2005 it became apparent that the ďeventĒ factor in comics had begun and was likely to never end. This entails endless tie-ins and flooding the market with titles which in turn makes it impossible for indies to get their foot in edgewise. So I decided to fight fire with fire and tested the waters with fellow indie creators about the idea of a huge indie event.

Rich: What about this comic do you consider makes it special?

Dave: It gives the comic readers a chance to see some great classic characters as well as many new creators with terrific concepts that might not be able to get recognition.

Rich: How hard was it getting all the creators to agree to have their character appear with all these others?

Dave: It wasnít as hard as you thought. Those that agreed, signed on.

Rich: Which villains will we see in this comic?

Dave: The main villains will be John Higginsís Razorjack, Joe Martinoís Maldestrak from his title Shadowflame which is out in trade paperback now form Arcana and the rest are villains of my own from my self published title Penance.

Rich: Do you find independent comics are better than main stream ones? If so why?

Dave: I find it important for the audience to introduce themselves to a numerous venues of comic book culture to get a full breathe for whatís out there and available to them.

Rich: Do you have any ideas for a comic of your own?

Dave: I self published Penance back in 2000 and plan on continuing it as well as a one shot comical book called Bye BiPolar.

Rich: What advice do you have for any new writers or artists trying to get into the comic business?

Dave: As a writer I would suggest to read a various amount of material outside of the comic realm and continually write. For artists I would suggest studying storytelling and open their eyes to whatís in front of them while maintaining an individual style.

Rich: What did you work on right before "War of the Independents"?

Dave: Iron Man 2 trading Cards as well as inking 2 issues of Herucles.

Rich: What will you be working on next?

Dave: A secret TV project as well as sketch cards for the upcoming Thor and Captain America movies.

Rich: If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Dave: Iíll go with super speed with mind control a close second. Why? Canít touch this!

Rich: How do you fill your time when you are not working on comics?

Dave: Endless other projects and enjoying the rest with the love of my life, Nilda!

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Dave: Davidwryan2002@yahoo.com

Rich: Any words for all the independent comic fans?

Dave: Iíd say for comic fans in general to give War of the Independents a shot as you might find something or some character you might be interested in pursuing further. With such a vast array of creators youíre bound to find something that peeks your interest. Iím betting on it! To War!!

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000