Ken Dougherty Artist from Ink Pen Mutations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6518 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Ken Dougherty
Artist for Zombies Rock Band: Must Be Destroyed
Published by: Ink Pen Mutations
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 18/12/2010

Rich: How did you join Ink Pen Mutations?

Ken: Well, I met Ave through myspace actually. I think itís been about three years ago now, she approached me on the subject of my posted art, we started talking and she invited me to attend Inkpen mutations first book release party. After that we discussed the possibility that I would do illustrations for a book in the futureÖit was a great connection made.

Rich: What do you think of Mother, Ave Rose and Wynter?

Ken: Ave is awesome. She has been great from the start, really easy to work with, nice, and has a great dark personal styleÖ.oh, and it never hurts to work with someone beautiful. I donít know winter as well, but I dig her dark mystique and or character persona, as well as a cool writing style, great imagination.

Rich: Do you enjoy drawing monsters?

Ken: For some reason Iíve always liked drawing monsters, and just a lot of things that were maybe a bit morbid, sculls, Frankenstein, dead people, blood, oh and of course drawing women was always fun. It might stem from the fact that I loved watching horror movies and scary movies from a very young age, Elvira was always a great thing, bad b movies along with the sexy mistress of the darkÖ.a bit warped maybe, I donít know.

Rich: How did working on video games help you artistically?

Ken: I totally tripped and fell into the videogame industryÖ. but once in, I learned so much. Pretty much everything I know about digital art I learned on sight, trained for a couple months, then hired full time without any formal schooling. I was really fortunate because I know that doesnít happen to everyone. When I came on board with developer, Prolific Publishing, at the time, I worked with theyíre lead artist, Van Arno, (an established painter actually), who basically taught me photoshop and some 3d modeling. I started in around circa 1997 and worked with him for almost six years there and learned a lot. Oddly enough Van got me into a great life drawing workshop at the time that I still go to.

Rich: How do you create a scary zombie?

Ken: Depending on the scene, I come up with a concept of a rough human figure that I like and then start to add nice flesh wounds and good old fashion rot. Itís just a matter of getting into a sort of ďdead fleshĒ drawing mode. Having grown up watching zombie movies of all sorts, itís tough not to be overly influenced by what youíve seen. Although fact that basically all zombie character designs are, practically, identical, varying only with the detail and craftsmanship of makeup, effects, and budget of the movie.

Rich: You know how to draw a beautiful sexy girl do you use real people to base your drawings on?

Ken: For some things itís a big help, for some things itís a must, but it is nice to have the ability to create something purely from imagination. Part of learning how to do something like drawing people, or a beautiful girl for instance, is referencing images or life drawing, Iíve honestly been a great fan of the ladies since a ripe age, I guess Iíve just always liked drawing women.

Rich: How do you improve your artistic talent?

Ken: Life drawing has been invaluable, pure and simple; Iím not saying itís a simple thing to do, just such a great way to improve oneís drawing and sketching ability. Lots of practice, and or trial by error as well. Over the last 5 or 6 years Iíve watched quite a few ďGnomon Workshop Tutorial DVDísĒ by a few of my favorite artists, which are great reference for industry standard and traditional drawing and painting techniques. I like to buy books as well, whether they are artist based books, or tutorial type books. But practice in general, is really instrumental. I bring a sketch book with me pretty much every were I go, almost every day, and try to at least take a few minutes out of the day to draw something.

Rich: Have you worked on any other comics?

Ken: Actually this is my first published comic or graphic novel.

Rich: What other jobs do you have now?

Ken: Iím doing a lot of concept art and some 3D modeling for an (undisclosed) start up video game developer, as well as my own painting and occasional exhibitions. Oh, and Iím a finish carpenter as well, so I work with my father who is a general contractor doing construction, remodels, additions and those types of things. I have always loved woodworking, so thatís another great ave for creativity.

Rich: Will you be doing more comic book work in the future?

Ken: If I have a say in the matter, hell yeah.

Rich: What would you do if you met a zombie?

Ken: ďhi thereÖ..uh, nice to meet youĒ (from at least 50 ft away) then a nice brisk jog/run in the opposite direction. Cya!

Rich: What is the most important thing in your life?

Ken: Thatís a tough question; I could easily say that art has basically saved my life. Since I can remember Iíve relied on creativity of all sorts to be a sort of therapeutic outlet. Family is also very important..ÖI feel so lucky, mainly because when I was young they were really supportive and pushed me to be a better artist, so I guess I would say a combination of art and family.

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Ken: Email : Kdougherty411@gmail.com

Or through myspace or facebook.

Rich: Any words for anyone who picked up this comic?

Ken: Get a magnify glass and look super close, there is so much detail that I toiled over that you may not see at first glance. Thanks for picking the comic up, enjoy the zombies, blood and half naked girl illustrations. Muaha!

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000