Tyler Fluharty Co-Writer for Bonnie Lass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6392 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  03:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Tyler Fluharty
Co-Writer for Bonnie Lass: The Legend
Published by: Red 5 Comics
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 31/12/2010

Rich: How did you end up being a comic book writer?

Tyler: I graduated from SSU in 2008 and Michael and I had been talking about writing a story together for a little while. The time just seemed right since we both had a bit more free time. Initially I did all the background art along with writing the story with Michael. However, I got very busy with some other work and had to leave all the artwork to him. Which turned out fantastic because Michael is a great artist.

Rich: How would you describe Bonnie Lass's personality?

Tyler: Very much a fiery red-head. She doesn't put up with any sort of crap and she's always right (according to her). She's got a past to go with it though, so there is a reason for the kind of person she is. She cares deeply for her crew despite how she seems to treat them, and enjoys her beer and whiskey as often as possible.

Rich: Why did you and Michael Mayne decide on a pirate setting but with technology?

Tyler: Michael and I were lucky enough to have dad's that loved westerns. So we both grew up watching Cowboys all the time, and now we both love a good western. Disney gets most of the credit in my book for bringing Pirates back into the picture. I enjoyed them when I was younger, but I always pictured them as the Bad Guys while Cowboys stood for something positive. We wanted to do a western themed story, but didn't want to be stranded in a desert environment most of the story so we threw in the Pirate aspect and now we have a huge world to explore (and pirate).
When it comes to the technology, we wanted to have shootouts, and ship chases, but we didn't want them to be the same old ones you are used to seeing. So we threw in some wild tech that allows us to take these sorts of things in a new direction. In the first issue you can see that they have Jet Engines and E-mail (and whatever that is on Monet's arm). So when writing we have to keep these sorts of things in mind to create a believable world and story.

Rich: Where and when exactly does this story take place?

Tyler: I can't really give you a year because it doesn't take place in our time. Nor does it take place on Earth. I will say that in this world that the story takes place it is very much like Earth, and things have not always been the way they currently are on the planet. The world we've created has a good bit of history.

Rich: Who is the villian of this comic?

Tyler: I'm not a huge fan of writing in just white and black (good and bad). At the end of the first issue you meet Monet and he is a very sinister looking character, but I don't want to peg anyone as a Villain or a Hero just yet. Every character has a motive for what they do and they are going to be a Bad Guy to somebody.

Rich: How do you and Michael communicate to co-write "Bonnie Lass: The Legend"?

Tyler: We try to get together when it comes to writing time. To write the first issue we got together in Cincinnati and figured out what events we wanted to happen. We knew how we wanted to first arc to end, and we knew how we wanted it to start. We just had to time everything correctly for it to seem like a believable story to the reader and for it to really work. We've fit a lot of action into Bonnie Lass but we managed to keep the story deep enough to really bring you into this world and hopefully want to know more.

Rich: How do you motivate yourself to write?

Tyler: Right off the bat we were both very excited to be writing our own comic book. However, spirits can drop a bit when you aren't even sure yet if you'll be able to get it published. So we just had to stick with it. But now that we've got (in my opinion) a killer story and some great characters, I find it very easy to motivate myself.

Rich: Have you had any other comics or books published?

Tyler: No Bonnie will be the first.

Rich: How do you think you would react to meeting Bonnie Lass?

Tyler: I imagine I would be a bit intimidated. Hopefully she'd not kick my ass and we could sit down and have a few beers. And of course I'd ask if she had any room for a new crew member.

Rich: What future projects do you have?

Tyler: My main focus is actually 3D modeling. We did a little bit of 3D work at the start of the first issue to lay things out. I believe Michael still uses it sometimes to set up a scene. So I'm really just looking for work in the game industry right now. But as a job for now I'm teaching 3D Modeling and some Adobe stuff at Shawnee State University. A dream would be to have a Bonnie Lass game at some point and to create assets for that.

Rich: What other comics besides "Bonnie Lass: The Legend" would you recommend?

Tyler: I only read a few comics when I was growing up. Never really stuck with any series though. I did get my hands on some old Jughead comics and they were great. I've also been reading through the Atomic Robo series and they are fantastic.

Rich: How do you spend your time when your not writing?

Tyler: Free time usually goes to doing 3D work or reading. I usually end up modeling strange creatures or sci-fi characters. You can check out my stuff if you'd like at tylerfluharty.com . Other than that I'll play some video games, I don't play a ton of modern stuff though. I usually find myself jumping back to my S-NES, but I will say that Mass Effect and God of War are very cool. As for books, I've been reading Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter" books. I loved the show on Showtime so I wanted to see where it started from.

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Tyler: If you'd like to get a hold of me you can find all my contact information on my website under the contact page. www.tylerfluharty.com

Rich: Any last words for fans of Bonnie Lass?

Tyler: If you are reading this then thank you so much for giving Bonnie Lass a shot! I'm glad you've enjoyed the first issue (or possibly second depending on when you are reading this), and... Cheers!

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000