Kurt Belcher Creator/Story Gator Butch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6350 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Kurt Belcher
Creator/Story for Gator Butch
Published by: Septagon Studios
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 16/03/2011

Rich: How did you come up with the idea for "Gator Butch"?

Kurt: Butch was really my own attempt to create kind of a 'country Hellboy'. That is, a monster-fighting good old boy from the Appalachian mountains. I had written down just a phrase around the same time, 'The River Children'. From there, it was a simple matter of using that for the bad guys - and the title - of the story. Everything else literally just flowed out of that.

Rich: Who is Gator Butch, how did he end up like he is?

Kurt: Gator Butch is what he calls a 'Professional Monster Fighter', and as far as he knows, he's the first and only one. He's a small town guy, although he did see some of the world as a Marine. He's from Doghole, one of the strangest little towns in Sinister County, eastern Kentucky. Despite his appearance and his job, most ofthe citizens of Doghole have come to accept Butch for who he is.

Butch and his appearance are a direct product of his father, who has been described as a human mutagen. Those he comes into contact with, most especially his father, come away from the experience in odd and seemingly random shapes.

Rich: Who and what are the River Children?

Kurt: The River Children are a gang of teenage criminals living in the hills around Doghole. They're weird and dangerous, each with his or her own unique ability. But the Children themselves aren't smart enough to plan the crimes they're committing. There's a mysterious someone behind them...

Rich: How did you come up with the name Gator Butch?

Kurt: Gator Butch was originally 'Gator Den' (with his real name meant to be 'Dennis'), but I didn't think it sounded tough enough. So I changed it to 'Gator Butch'. After I found out that Charles Bronson's real name was 'Buchinsky', it was a no-brainer to use that for Butch.

Rich: Why offer bonuses with this comic on digital media platforms?

Kurt: I think Septagon's plan is to make it impossible for someone not to buy "Gator Butch", by offering a huge number of bonuses that no sane person can pass up. If I was a customer, I'd get it for the music of Strawman alone.

Rich: What do you think of David Hollenbach's art style?

Kurt: David's art is one of the most unique out there. He takes the kind of work that's done by Ashley Wood and Ben Templesmith and does his own thing with it. His art looks like no one else's, especially not anyone doing sequential artwork.

Rich: How did the cover to # 1 turn out?

Kurt: The cover went through a number of versions and revisions. David worked up a number of rough ideas for it, and sent them all to Nick, the head guy at Septagon. Nick picked his favorite one. Then Septagon worked up a logo for the cover. I personally wanted something a little more cartoonish for it, but they convinced me otherwise.

Rich: Why is "Gator Butch" at Septagon Studios?

Kurt: Septagon is obviously very dedicated to putting together the best possible book they can, as well as putting together the best promotional packages and getting reviews from the best review sites out there. They also seem to be able to get the book on any number of digital comics platforms, everything from Graphic.ly to Wowio.

Rich: What would you say or do if you met Gator Butch for real?

Kurt: Well, first I'd scream like a little girl, to see something jump out of my imagination fully fleshed out, like Athena jumping out of Zeu's head. Then I'd hang around with him, shoot the ****, maybe have a few drinks, and get to know him better. Even though I created the guy, there's still a lot about him that I don't know. Hopefully, Hollywood will make a movie of it one day and invite me to the set. Then I can meet him for real.

Rich: Do you have any ideas for any more comics?

Kurt: I do. Right now, aside from drawing a few books and pitches for other writers, I'm also writing and drawing "Winter War" for 215 Ink. I have several more pitches that I've written and drawn in the pipeline, and as soon I get those picked up and started publishing, I'd be more than happy to talk about them. Beyond that, I've got gigabytes of ideas ready to be fleshed out and put into action.

Rich: If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Kurt: Flight. I don't think there'd be anything better than to be unencumbered by the restrictions of gravity and be able to be totally weightless. As long as I don't LOSE the powers right in the middle of a good flight.

Rich: How do you feel when you hold a finished comic of yours in your hands?

Kurt: Funny you should ask that. Just yesterday, I got copies of a recent book I drew for Creator's Edge Press, called "Stink". And let me tell you, holding something you created in your hands is a great feeling. Not only does it give you a true sense of accomplishment to know that you were responsible at least in part for putting together a book, but if it's good, you get a definite sense of pride. And seeing both "Gator Butch" online and "Stink" in print gave me that pride. Nothing else like it.

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Kurt: I can be contacted any number of ways. My e-mail is: kurt.belcher@gmail.com I have a Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/kurt.belcher where I post BS just about everyday. Also, Butch himself has a page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/GatorButch where he has been known to comment and dispense his wisdom.

Rich: Any words for fans of Gator Butch?

Kurt: Butch fans, I'm glad y'all have gotten a chance to see and enjoy this book. It's a labor of love, and I hope you get a chance to get more of it in your grubby little hands.

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000