Don Smith, writer "Ghost Investigator" comic book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Interview with: Don Smith, Writer
Comic book: Ghost Investigator
Publication Company: A Spirited Comics Publication
Interviewed by: Allen Klingelhoets
CEO
www.jazmaonline.com

Allen: It has been while since your last interview at Jazma. How are you? Please tell me about yourself.

Don Smith: Hey, Allen, I am doing okay thanks! Right now, I am just getting past the holidays and my wife and I are just enjoying our cats. And I am still riding off the high of my second book "The Goffle Road Murders of Passaic County" coming out.

Allen: What kinds of comic books are you presently reading?

Don Smith: You know, I have been keeping my distance from the big guys, and sticking with the independents. I have been doing reviews about "Doctor Who" comics for Pendragon Press's site at www.pendragonspost.com and I am writing reviews of independent comics at:
www.parcbench.com

I think one of my personal favorite creators has been Kurt Belcher. His work is amazing and I am loving his story "Winter War" which is published by 215 Ink.

However, I did find myself reading the new "Aquaman" by Geoff Johns and I liked it a lot! I bought all four issues in one shot.

Allen: Tell me about your new comic book: "Ghost Investigator".

Don Smith: My friend Linda Zimmermann is real life ghost investigator and she has been investigating haunted houses and writing under the name "Ghost Investigator" for years now. I thought, "Let's take one of her stories and turn it into a comic." So we did.

We got some amazing creators on it as well. Joseph Regis did the pencils, K.M. Haugen did the inks, colors and letters and we had legendary Marvel Comics artist Bill Anderson color it! Also we had the amazing Martin Oakley step in and help set up the comic before it went to press.

Allen: How did story for "Ghost Investigator" happen? Factual or made-up story?

Don Smith: It is based on a story about a suicide that occurred in a home in New York and Linda investigated it. The kids living in the house saw a "black" figure they called "Batman." Well if you are doing a comic book that is not owned by DC Comics, well you better have a good lawyer or change the name to the "Shadow's Man." There were parts of the story we had to "fictionalize" and "comic book" it up, but we kept the basic integrity of the real story in tact.

Allen: Tell me about some of the characters. What is motivation of story?

Don Smith: The main character of the comic is Elle Zee. Her goal is to simply try and bring peace to troubled spirits because they troubled the current residents. Sometimes it is easy, other times it is downright difficult.

Allen: What inspired you to write this story? How many pages in issue? What is your role in creative process of "Ghost Investigator" comic book?

Don Smith: What inspired me to write the story was the cover of the "Ghost Investigator" books. Linda poses in a fedora in a grey skirt/suit and I always thought "That would make a great idea for a comic."

So about 2010 or so we started writing the script and recruiting creators.

Allen: Is this multiple storied comic book? Are there more than one issue planned for "A Ghost Investigator" comic book? What is publication date for issue one?

Don Smith: For right now, it is a single story. We are waiting to see what happens with it. Let me put it this way, we hope to do more.

Allen: Tell me more about already mentioned artist for story?

Don Smith: As was mentioned we used Joseph Regis an amazing artist who works with Faithstar Comics. Faithstar Comics is an up and coming comic book that shares their faith and tells good old fashioned super hero stories.

Allen: Tell me more about cover artist and inker? How does it feel working with them both?

Don Smith: Joseph served as the cover artist, but we got the amazing Marvel artist Bill Anderson to color it. As for the inker and letterer, we got this amazing creator named K.M. Haugen. This guy knows his stuff! I was pleased to work with them both.

Allen: Why did you feel A Spirited Comic Publications was the right fit for "A Ghost Investigator" comic book?

Don Smith: Well A Spirited comic Publications is our banner of which we published the comic is actually based on the publishing company A Spirited Publication which Linda publishes her books under, so we thought "let's keep the tradition going!"

Allen: How did you become interested in Ghost Investigations? Tell me about some of your motivations into Ghost Investigation field.

Don Smith: Well, I have always loved a good ghost story and when I met Linda, I loved her perspective and stories. I thought it would be make for a great story!

Allen: Tell me about some of your hobbies at present time.

Don Smith: Right now, my big hobby has been American history. I have written two books and will be working on my third history book soon, so I love that. Also, I have been following the election very closely and that will be interesting!

Allen: What are some other comic books that you are working on?

Don Smith: Well the other big comic book I am working is for my old buddies at Bluewater Comics and it is a history of the U.S. Army. It is called "American Defenders: The Army" and I give a history of the U.S. Army from the days of the American Revolution to the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is the first of five comics.

Allen: What is the best way to get copy of "Ghost Investigator" comic book or contact you?

Don Smith: The best way to contact me or to get a copy is go to my web site:
donsmithwrites.blogspot.com
and they can contact me through there.

Allen: Your new comic fits well at Jazma. The President (Paul Dale Roberts) of Jazma Online! is a paranormal investigator. What do you think of that fact? He is also published author about paranormal activity.

Don: That is so cool! I had a chance to read up on some of Paul’s work and he has an amazing career! And there is so much crossover for fans in the paranormal community and fans of the comic book world it only makes sense. Each of them explores the fantastic and the “what might be” and the unknown. And it is good both communities have someone like Paul as an advocate!

Allen: Thank you, Don Smith, for new interview.

Don Smith: Allen, thanks again! I have really appreciate it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000