Mike Gagnon Co-Creator/Co- Writer The Almighties
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6701 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  2:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Mike Gagnon
Co-Creator/Co-Writer/Colorer for The Almighties
Published by: Actuality Press
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 04/06/2012

Rich: Can you tell us about some of the team members you helped create?

Mike: In the Almighties roster I created Nite Fang and Mason. Mason is a pre-existing character that has appeared in several short and feature length comics in the past. Heís a psychopathic mercenary with no conscience or remorse. Heís with the team for his own reasons and because heís being paid, although he does not like the ĎNo Killingí rule. The fun part about using this character is that heís a pre-established entity with a following, and weíve taken him from his usual setting and put him in a situation where we have to make him true to character, but its how the others play off of him and react to him that make it possible to stick him in this funny situation.

As for Nite Fang, heís a lecherous British punk rocker thatís fallen victim to the werewolf curse, instead of bemoaning his fate he revels in it and itís just one more way to enhance his never ending party. This is a character that had been developing for years, but never took the steps into reality until Sam and I began discussing Almighties.

Rich: How would you describe the team leader?

Mike: Maxi-Tron is self-absorbed, arrogant and in his own little world.

Rich: Was it fun to do a spoof of the Avengers?

Mike: Itís incredibly fun to spoof characters that weíve loved so much, and for so long. I loved the Avengers as a kid, especially the quirky, campy, yet cool stuff from like the late 70ís to the early 90ís. I loved the West Coast Team. Comics were still fun back then and thatís a big part of this.

Rich: How do you perfect your writing skills?

Mike: Write every day. Never stop. I donít believe in writers block. If you get stuck start writing, do another story until your mind goes back to the first one. Obviously you need a break some time and a rest. The best ideas sometimes come when you are relaxing, going for a good walk or taking a shower.

Rich: Where does your inspiration come from?

Mike: Life, pop culture, the world around me. People watching is a big thing. If we could remove ourselves form the drama of our lives and just watch human interaction objectively weíd realize weíre all hilarious.

Rich: Have you enjoyed the time you spent working at Marvel Comics?

Mike: I worked on the Marvel Universe Handbook series and the Deadpool one-shot spin-off. It was a pleasant experience. Iíd love to work with them again, but itís a competitive market and even newbies whoíve gotten a break have a hard time keeping steady mainstream work. The editor I worked with, Jeff Youngquist, was a great guy and a pleasure to interact with. I have a lot of professional respect for him.

Rich: Youíre a Canadian Jedi, so does that make you a fan of Star Wars?

Mike: LOL yes of course. Itís the holy trilogy. The Jedi label isnít actually super serious; just like I enjoy making spoof and humor comics, I am also making fun of myself on an almost constant basis.

Rich: What is HEROized?

Mike: HEROized is a unique business branding and marketing service that I manage for parent firm, X-Company, as the Producer and Client Engager. We take public figures, small business owners, individuals and corporate management teams and turn them into their own unique super hero characters. Each character is based on a real person, their personalities, jobs and hobbies and they use the branding and images we create as a part of their business or personal image building and marketing online, in social media and in print. They become the heroes of their industry or hobby. You can visit HEROized at www.heroized.com .

Rich: What do you think of the comics market in Canada?

Mike: Itís pretty much the same as the market in the US. Except we need more comic shops, more distribution and we have some small press creators who are amazing but havenít broken into the US market yet.

Rich: Who are some of your favorite comic characters?

Mike: Wow, it really changes. At one time when I was a kid it was Aquaman, but I think that was mostly because I like the color orange. I have a love for that 70ís campy stuff before it got all serious, like the older JSA, Mighty Crusaders, Atlas Comics, and monster stuff. With modern comics Iíd have to say Transmetropolitan, Preacher, a lot of the Vertigo stuff. And from Marvel Iím a huge Hulk fan and read the X-Men and Avengers books regularly. I also enjoy Dan Slottís work on Spider-Man.

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Mike: You can check out my website at www.mikegagnon.ca, find me on facebook or twitter @themikegagnon or e-mail fansrgreat@mikegagnon.ca

Rich: Any last words for followers of your work?

Mike: I do what I do because I love it, and above all I have fun with it. I hope you do to and if I inspire one person it makes the years of sacrifice worthwhile. I love you all. Big hugs!

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000