Jon Judy,(Wr.)The Sec. Orig. of JerSiegel + Joe S
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Interview with: (writer) Jon Judy
Comic book: The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster
Publisher: Bluewater Publications
Publication date: Fall 2012
Interviewed by: Allen Klingelhoets

Allen: Who came up with idea to write The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: All Darren*. He must have known I'd be thrilled to be involved. He sent me a one-sentence email, something like "How would you like to write a bio comic on Superman's creators?" As a huge Superman fan and as a resident of the area where he was "born," I couldn't pass it up.

Allen: How did you research The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: Just locked myself away for a weekend with my personal library of comic book books and magazines. This is hardly a scholarly work; it's a work of entertainment, but it's also an accurate work of entertainment.

Allen: What sort of influence has Superman had on your life?

Jon: One of the old Warner Bros. animators, I forget who, once said something like "We like Daffy Duck because we are him. We like Bugs Bunny because we want to be him." I've always felt that way about Spider-Man and Superman. I've always liked Spider-Man because, like him, I'm anxious and neurotic and depressive. I've always liked Superman because I've always wanted to be that selfless and giving and loving. I'm working on it, but so far I haven't even reached Jimmy Olsen level.

Allen: What sort of things do you plan to cover in The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: Well I tried to cover as much of their lives as I could in twenty-three pages. Obviously, it's a truncated account, but we take them from childhood to the grave, and even touch a little on the legal battles over Superman that have occurred since their deaths.

Allen: How long did it take you to write The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman script?

Jon: That's hard to say. It took me a couple of months, but how much of that was actual writing time? I wasn't keeping track of time.

Allen: Have you ever met any of the actors that preformed as Superman in theater movies or television shows?

Jon: No, not as Superman, but I've been fortunate enough to meet Noel Neill, Marc McClure, and Margot Kidder at various cons.

Allen: How has your world been enriched by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster?

Jon: I've been a superhero fanboy for thirty years, and they created the modern superhero and the fanboy. Nuff said.

Allen: What kinds of questions would you like to ask Jerry and Joe? Imagine that you could use time machine to go back in time and talk to Siegel and Shuster.

Jon: I guess the question I'd most like to ask is: Was it worth it? They just wanted to create science fiction and have their creations published. That was it, that was the dream. Well they did it, but look at what they lost and what they endured. Was it worth it?

Allen: Tell me about artist Onofrio Orlando. He is artist and cover artist for The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book.

Jon: I really don't know anything about him. I've never had any contact with him, or even heard his name until now. Darren handles all of that; once the script was done, my involvement in the project ended. That's frustrating, sure, but that's work-for-hire for you. Appropriate given whom we're discussing.

Allen: What is your hope that readers gain from reading The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: I hope that some of them learn something they had not known and have their appreciation for Siegel and Shuster enhanced. For thoe hardcore fan who learn nothing new, I hope they enjoy and appreciate seeing a loveletter from a fellow hardcore fan to the fathers of one of our great fictional heroes.

Allen: What is best way for readers to get copy of The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: I'm told it will be solicited in Previews soon, so call your local comic book shop.

Allen: Do you have plans to write other stories about comic book creator Origins? Here are a few examples: Bob Kane, Lee Falk, or Joe Simon.

Jon: I don't have any plans, but if Darren floats that right names by me...

Allen: What are some other projects you are presently workin on?

Jon: I co-created and wrote a comic called Swerve that's coming soon from Arcana. I'm working on some other things, too, but they're just in the development stages.

Allen: What is the best way to contact you?

Jon: Email always works:
jonjudy15@gmail.com

Allen: Are you presently reading other Superman comic book stories? What other comic book stories are you enjoying reading?

Jon: I don;t keep up with the current stories. I just check in from time to time and look the character over when it seems like they're doing something interesting with him.

Allen: Why do you enjoy writing comic book stories?

Jon: I think it's fun. There' probably some deeper, psychological reason buried deep in my subconscious, but whatever. It's fun.

Allen: What would you like to say to any young writer attempting to break into comic book field?

Jon: Get ready to work hard and for free, or just for promises, and if you want to make any real kind of progress towards breaking in, get ready to do it yourself. Hit the cons and hit the web and find yourself an artist. Then self-publish or do a web comic, or get ready to hand over your baby to someone else. As Bob Dylan said, "Pay for your ticket / and don't complain."

Allen: What kind of computer device do you use when writing comic book stories?

Jon: Just a PC. I guess that now passes for old school.

Allen: What would be your dream job writing comic book stories? Is there some certain characters you would like to write?

Jon: My dream would be, like Jerry and Joe, to make a living telling the stories I want to tell. Any particular characters I'd like a shot at? The usual suspects, I suppose. Superman. Spider-Man, I've got an idea for a Thor story that I think is original. I'd love the chance to do a comic book version of the adventures of Sky Captain from the film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Allen: Do you know if The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman is going to be dedicated to someone?

Jon: Just Jerry and Joe, I assume.

Allen: Are any of the proceeds going to be donated to charity?

Jon: No idea. Check with Darren.

Allen: Do you have any store or comic books appearances planned to promote The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: Every Wednesday you can find me at my local shop, but other than that, no.

Allen: I feel that's enough for today. Would you like to leave our readers with any closing comments about The Secret Origins of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster The Creators of Superman comic book?

Jon: Just this: The chances that I'll ever make any money from this book are slim. This thing has to turn a healthy profit for that to happen, and in the current market the odds are against that. I knew that going into it, and did it for love, and I hope that love shows in the final product.

* Darren Davis, Publisher: Bluewater Publications

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000