Valerie Perez (Paula Peril) Actress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6438 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  08:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Valerie Perez
Paula Peril Actress
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 29/06/2012

Rich: How did you get the acting role of Paula Peril?

Valerie: I caught the attention of Paula Peril’s creator, James Watson, starring in ‘Tears of the Dragon’ (www.tearsofthedragon.org ), which is an action-drama homage to Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft. Not long after I was asked to model for Paula and give input on ideas for the further development of her character. That led to talk about a live action project. Growing up on Nancy Drew, Lois Lane and having a great love of film noir I quickly took to stepping into Paula’s adventures. It was a childhood dream of mine to be a detective… and sexy. Playing Paula I get to pretend that I am both!

Rich: What is Paula's personality like and is it at all similar to your own?

Valerie: Paula is feminine, focused, feisty and fearless! We are both helpful and tenacious ladies. On my very best days I am a lot like her.

Rich: What do you think fans most enjoy about your Paula Peril character?

Valerie: Her knack for finding trouble!

Rich: Why do you think fan films are becoming so popular?

Valerie: There are more and more of them and they are improving! Better and more affordable equipment has made it easier to tell your own tales, as well it is getting easier to find and build an audience. Mostly there is a huge demand for more content of favorite characters and genres. Not to mention many are sometimes unsatisfied by Hollywood translations or lack thereof... *cough, cough, Wonder Woman*

Still, fan films have been around for decades and are not quite a household term yet. I think we have yet to see them truly come to the height of their potential popularity.

Rich: You look gorgeous dressed as Wonder Woman would you like to play her in a movie and why?

Valerie: I would very much like to be involved with bringing Wonder Woman to life in just about any shape or form. She gave hope to this lonely, semi-unremarkable little girl that she too is special and can make a positive difference.

Rich: You have also dressed up as Zatanna and the Scarlet Witch are there any other super-heroes you would like to dress up as?

Valerie: I also have Elektra gear but the movie made me put it away in a deep dark place... I have toyed with the idea of Raven.

Rich: What was your role like in "Midnight Whistle"?

Valerie: Rather un-forgiving physically: I lost count after 40 bruises from being battered against train tracks and such – loved every minute of it! She is fighting figuratively and literally on both professional and personal fronts for herself and others. The role of Paula in “Midnight Whistle” is the most gratifying so far for me getting to play her and for fans getting to know her along with what's really happening beneath the City's surface.

Rich: What has been your most challenging role?

Valerie: Embodying your heroes I would say is the toughest, you always feel like anything you are doing is falling short. In grade school I really idolized Lara Croft, then spent over two years making a 40-minute film embodying her and her adventures in the great outdoors. It took me a good deal of martial arts training, spelunking, dialect coaching, and braiding to try to full the boots of my favorite video vixen and there is still so much more I wish I could have done. After that experience any difficulties I encountered such as being set on fire, diving off tops of buildings into dumpsters, the language of Shakespeare and an uninterrupted five minute take of pretending to eat a human limb made of foam without gagging all paled in comparison to the weight you put on your shoulders wanting to do your idols justice.

Rich: What do you have planned for the near future?

Valerie: Hope to get hip deep in an all-girl, cyberpunk “Ocean’s Eleven” feature very soon. Thanks to the growing success of ‘Midnight Whistle’, a feature length Paula script is also in the works. I guest star in a Mission Impossible TV show spoof – that is making festival rounds this year. Also look for me co-presenting the San Diego Comic Con Film School and as hostess at the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror’s Saturn Awards.

Rich: Have you or do you read any comic books if so which ones and why?

Valerie: Oh yeah, always.

I have been a DC girl since the very beginning. When first picking up comic books I unable to relate and appreciate Marvel’s characters at the time. Then later after puberty enjoyed a lot of Top Cow for the heroines they carried like Fathom, Lara Croft, Aphrodite IX and Madam Mirage.

Of the new 52 currently following Justice League which has many of my favorite characters with the version of Wonder Woman closest to the one I would like to see. For story arcs I know I am going to love, I tend to wait for the graphic novel such as with Aquaman Volume 1 coming out in September. Other runs with action and interplay well worth the wait include J. Michael Straczynski’s Thor and Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men. Still have a couple more volumes of Y the Last Man to read – I am savoring those slowly. I really miss Secret Six and Zatanna, which were my most consistently satisfying monthly reads. Never heard of Secret Six? Go out and get ‘Depths’ issues #8-14 written by fabulous Gail Simone with the art of the very wonderful Nicola Scott!

Rich: How and why did you end up learning to play the folk harp?

Valerie: I injured my wrist in college which kept me from doing much so spent more time on the couch watching DVD’s including the Marx Bros films. Seeing Harpo play made me realize I would love to try the harp and it turns out to suit me really well.

Rich: What super powers would you most like to have and what would you do with them?

Valerie: Would love to move at the speed of thought! I am often literally running from one place to the next because I can’t wait to get started the next new thing. Suppose if I could go that fast it would be better than flying but that would be so verrry cool too.

Rich: Who has supported your career the most?

Valerie: My mother, absolutely.

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Valerie: Contact and keep up-to-date with me on Facebook.com/officialValeriePerez or via Twitter @Valerie_Perez (https://twitter.com/#!/valerie_perez) or through my website ValeriePerez.com which will be launching next month.

Talk to me face-to-face at the morning Comic-Con International Film School panels from 10-11am in San Diego July 12th-15thor at the Comic-Con Paula Peril screening Friday July 13th 11am. Both will be near the convention Hall A in the Marriott, see http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_iff.php for more details.

Rich: Any words for all those who love to see you acting?

Valerie: The best is yet to come!

Photo credits:
M. Powers

Matthias Saunders

Jessica V.

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000