My Fruit Cocktail Tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share
About 10 years ago my apple tree in NE corner of my yard was hit by car. Tree is next to busy highway. I can see tree clearly through window of my house looking in that direction. This was second time in 20 years my apple tree was hit by car. It took many years for tree to start growing back. It is now taller than my six foot four tall body.a Tree thogh may never blossom. I decided that tree had plenty of leaves. It was alive. I began to think that tree might just have forgotten how to have fruit. Maybe the tree just forgot what kind of fruit it should produce. It was about that time that I had been enjoying fruit cocktail out of can. I thought to myself "What if there were a thing like a fruit cocktail tree?" I thought about idea. I gathered imitation fruit from garage sales. I even got brown colored string for fruit. I began to decorate tree. It was fun. I had pears,peaches, grapes, cherries and oranges on branches. Now the tree could decide what sort of fruit it might like to produce. I had lots of fun. I heard through out summer that many people enjoyed tree. I just let them guess reason behind tree. Some of the apples were very real looking. One person even picked large red apple. Lady thought for sure apple was real. I put plastic animals around base of tree of rabbits and even skunk. It was fun to make mixed fruit tree. Now that it is getting near fall might have to change tree around again. I have no idea where next idea will go. Maybe next year my tree will have blossoms. One never knows the type of fruit it will choose. I gave tree many options.
August, 2012

August 27th
Yesterday I had little adventure in my yard. I went out to feed birds. I have several bird feeders. Near one of bird feeders I found small creature. It was curled up and sleeping below feeder. I thought it was ferrot. I went in my garage. I put on leather coat and leather gloves. Animal did not give me much trouble. I put it into single size cat carrior cage. I have two indoor cats that occasionally need to go to vets. office. I just figured animal got away from one of my neighbors houses. It was probably attracted by bird seed. I did not know what to feed animal. I called local police department. An officer told me internet said cat food was great idea. The possible ferrot was sleeping in cage. I also put in water for drink. It ate food. This was in morning. I knew I had problem around noon. Animal became very active in carrior cage. I thought it might hurt itself. I went out to local police station to talk to officer. I took carrior cage with me in my car (I still miss my old car Wally). The officer was confused. He checked up again what animal was through internet. He now thought could possibly be weasel. He had me take out my find to Animal shelter. It was there that final decision was made that it was a weasel. I was also told nocturnal creature. I also was told that could let weasel go near where found. I explaned that I had two cats. The person at Humane Shelter said weasel could kill cats. Mine stay inside. Other neighbors though have out door cats. I was than told could let out in wooded area. I brought weasel out to wooded area outside my home town. I thought about weasels that were in old movie called The Beast Master. I knew that those two weasels were tame and not wild creature. I found area with water. It was well sheltered area for weasel. I opened cat carrior door. Black colored weasel moved out of carrior. I put some cat food down for him in bowl plus a bowl of water. I had him checked earlier for sex. He was male. I named him Krypto. He quickly moved away into wooded area. Within 30 seconds I lost Krypto. Krypto was more concerned about freedom than food.
I had never had weasel in my yard before yesterday. Not that I no of anyway. I live mile away from nearest river. I wonder if weasel could smell my bird bath? It has pump motor to circulate water. It has been very dry this summer in my area. It also has been really hot summer. Natures creatures may be stressed from heat. I even had deer in my yard one night several weeks ago. It was eatting apples off my real apple tree (not fruit cocktail tree.) This was around midnight. That was first deer (white tailed doe) i've ever seen in yard. It came back next night to feed. I saw signs of damage to my wire fence. I also saw deer deposits.
I kind of missed weasel. I knew though Krypto needed to back in nature. I noticed lots of pine cones on ground near tree let him go out of cage. I gathered some pine cones and brought them home in carrior. I have a pine tree in my yard near fruit cocktail tree. I got out my string and pine cones. Pine tree is to young for pine cones. I strung up 75 pine cones on trees branches. I dedicated tree to Krypto. I thought about St.Francis, Saint for animals. I prayed that Krypto would be fine in his new wooded habitat.
I still have been having fun with my Fruit Cocktail tree. Next year though might have regular apples. Tree has grown to almost 9 feet tall. I would not doubt if will have blossoms next year. Tree came long ways. I felt would not ever blossom. That's why had fun with tree. It was after all in last 20 years hit twice by cars. The second time took down tree to stump. It is fighter though. It would be fun though if tree on it's own had various fruits. I have seen apple trees that can be made to have various apples on same trees. This is due to grafting different types in same tree.
I had another fun idea thinking about apples. I have full grown Blue spruce tree in my yard. I bought plenty of imitation red apples. I decorated tree with apples. Now I have my own Wisconsin "PINE APPLE" tree.
Summer 2014

My fruit cocktail tree has grown. It is now almost twelve feet tall. I still continue to decorate tree. It still does not have any blossoms on tree. I take great delight in decorating tree. Plastic fruit. It is fun to get reactions. I have also found interesting to add details. I decided that tree might be magical. I had fun with idea formed from magic beans. I put plastic Easter eggs at base of tree. I partially buried them in ground. I even added more color to tree. I put two peacock feathers on tree branches.
I have noticed that tree has made me feel colorful. I feel more out going. It is like changing area altered how I feel.
I suppose soon will take down tree ornaments for season. I bet I'm only person that ever took time to design fruit cocktail tree.
It would be really cool if tree were doorway to other places. Maybe person would have to say magic words like "Rocket Raccoon" or some other words. Tree is very imaginative. Maybe next year it will have actual blossoms. I just hope no one hits tree with car or truck. It just is to close to busy road.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000