Freddie E Williams II Artist for Captain Atom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6658 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  12:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Freddie E Williams II
Artist for Captain Atom
Publisher: DC
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 28/01/2013

Rich: How did you become the artist on "Captain Atom"?

Freddie: DC called me up and asked me if I would like to be part of the “New 52” Reboot, and I jumped at the chance.

Rich: In the New 52 how has Captain Atom changed?

Freddie: Essentially, we dialed Captain Atom’s power level up to 11! Really his only limitations are those of his own knowledge and his own psyche.

Rich: How do you illustrate Captain Atom's powers?

Freddie: It depends on what he’s doing (he has a huge power set), but usually I render it the same way I render Captain Atom himself: in an ink wash (shades of grey), this makes him and his power stand out compared to the rest of the world, that I render in heavy black shadow.

Rich: Do you have the chance to illustrate lots of big fight scenes?

Freddie: There have been a couple, though this Captain Atom series is less about big fight scenes, and more about Captain Atom struggling to find a place he belongs in himself and in the DCU.

Rich: Which villains do you get to draw in "Captain Atom" and how do you portray them?

Freddie: Most of the struggles come from within Captain Atom, and his huge powerset, so in the first arc, the villains are things like cancer cells, an atomic bomb, suicide, and lastly a giant atomic rat creature. In the second arc, Captain Atom is battling future versions of himself – pretty fun stuff!

Rich: You have worked at DC since 2005, what do you think of its characters do you have any favorites?

Freddie: Of course I have favorites, my all-time favorite is Superman – he was like a surrogate father for me growing up and helped shaped the man I’ve become. As far as favorite to draw it would be Batman, he has the perfect symbol, silhouette to draw weather you are in light or shadow.

Rich: What will one find in "DC Comics Guide To Digitally Drawing Comics"?

Freddie: It’s a great primer for artists that already know how to draw a comic book page on paper, but are looking to speed up that process, and add versatility tools, by incorporating Adobe Photoshop. It walks the reader through how to create and finish a page, all in Adobe Photoshop. It also includes a hybrid workflow, where you start the page digitally and execute it on paper, with traditional drawing tools.
It is selling very well, and the reviews for it on Amazon are fantastic, I couldn’t be more pleased with its reception!

Rich: You worked on "Flashpoint" how did it feel to be in on the starting point of the New 52?

Freddie: I only contributed the Flashpoint map, which showed a war torn Earth of the DCU. Since it precluded my work on the New 52 Captain Atom, it was my first clue that something HUGE was on the horizon for DC Comics!

Rich: What is your overall opinion of the New 52 comics?

Freddie: Great idea, at a great time! Smart moves made by DC Comics!

Rich: Which character in your career have you most enjoyed illustrating and what is your reason?

Freddie: I think there would be a tie between Captain Atom and Robin. Two diametrically opposed characters, on opposite ends of the power spectrum!
With Captain Atom, being able to redesign him and draw a God like creature that can do anything but doesn’t have the knowledge has been awesome.
And with Robin – I really felt like I knew Tim Drake after drawing him for almost 2 years and with it being a darker book I really got to play around with the shadows a lot.

Rich: Besides "Captain Atom" what other comics would you recommend?

Freddie: The Justice League, is great as well as the Flash, those are the ones I rush out for every month!

Rich: If you could have one super-hero powers whose would it be and why?

Freddie: Probably the power to duplicate myself, I always feel like Im behind on work, especially with all of the comic conventions I’ve been attending recently, and it’d be great to have copies of myself to share some of the workload!

Rich: How can someone contact you?

Freddie: Via my website - http://www.FreddieArt.com/ from there you can find my e-Mail, Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter contact info, along with a BUNCH of my artwork!

Rich: Any words for all the fans of your art?

Freddie: Thanks for liking my stuff! Take care!

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000