Reviews Papercutz - Stefan Petrucha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  12:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

I (Allen) have been reading several stories over at Papercutz.
Here are some reviews.
Saban's Power Rangers Super Samurai "Memory Short". Book one. Author Stefan Petrucha and artist Paulo Henrique.64 page story.

Stefan Petrucha used to write Nancy Drew comics for Papercutz. I have always been impressed with his writing style. I recently noticed he was working on other stories for Papercutz. I will get into some of those in future reviews. I picked up plenty of his stories from local library.

I really enjoyed "Memory Short". I liked how book started with review about present Power Ranger characters. I really like The Pink Ranger "Mia" and the Red Ranger (Jayden). I also like other Rangers all work as team.
There are 6 Rangers in total. Red (Jayden), Pink, (Mia), Blue (Kevin), Green (Mike), Yellow (Emily) and Gold Ranger (Antonio).

In this All New story wrote by Stefan Petrcha. Jayden,Kevin,Emily,Mike,Mia and Antonio attend a Ruben Jet concert
and end up in middle of evil scheme organized by Master Xandred. He plans on concuering the concert crowd and tomorrow the world. A character called the Oblivitor erases the audience's memory of The Power Rangers.
One of the Rangers also loses memory. I really enjoyed story at concert. I felt I was brought up to speed with new Power Rangers. I had not really seen any of television episodes since first team of Power Rangers many years ago. I liked seeing Oblivitor. He was rather scary looking bad creature. I only really knew about Master Xandred from reading about him at beginning preview.
Master Xandred is the leader of the Nighlok Monsters who inhabit the Netherworld.
Jayden's Fatherthe previous Red Ranger Shattered Master Xandred into a million pieces, vanishing him to the Netherworld forever. Recently Master Xandred awoke and began a reign of terror in an attempt to return to our world. With his trusted advisor Octoroo, Master Xandred has sent Nighlok to Earth in an attempt to make humans cry as the tears help raise the Sanzu River. Once the river is high enough, Master Xandred can eascape the Netherworld and rule the Earth.
I enjoyed seeing Power Rangers battle Oblivitor. It was more difficult with one of there own not being able to remember was Ranger. I also liked seeing Ranger's use of elements and Zords. Jayden' element is fire and his Zord is Lion. Mia's Element is : Sky and Zord is the Turtle. Kevin's element is water and his Zord is the Dragon. Mike's element is the Forest and his Zord is the Bear. Emily's element is The Earth and her Zord is The Ape. Antonio's element is light and his Zod is an Octopus known as OctoZord. I liked way Ranger got back memory. I liked being able to see ways Rangers used each individual weapons agaist Nighlok mosters at concert. It was really cool seeing way Black Box allowed sigle Ranger to morph into Super Samurai mode to call upon the powers of the seven animal Zords. There was a huge battle between Oblivitor and rangers that morphed into Mega mode. The battle at concert night time concert grounds was epic. Good versus evil. The battle was not recalled by anyone in attendence. I loved way story was concluded. The Rangers lived to tell "Memory Short" story. I suppose in future there will be more battles set up by Master Xandred.
This story is based on TV's, Saban's Power Ranger's Super Samurai, as seen on Nickelodeon.
I really enjoyed art from Paulo Henrique!
I have noticed two other Power Rangers graphic novels stories by Stefan. This one just reviewed was published by Papercutz in 2012.
I also want to quote first part of book one.
For as long as the Nighlok have existed, there have been Power Rangers sworn to fight them. The current team of Samurai Power Rangers is a group of teens who grew up knowing that one day they would be summoned to use there uniquely inherited powers and extraordinary skills against evil as The Power Rangers. These skills and powers have been passed down through generation to generation and determine which Ranger they will become.
Next up stories from Slice series wrote by Stefan.
Papercutz Slices
An Unauthorized Parody
Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring
Stefan Petrucha (Author) Rick Parker (artist)
Copywrite 2010

I had fun reading parody 50 page story about Harry Potty. It was stark contrast between Harry Potter books. It had similar characters with different names. There were many spoofs in story that hinted to references to Harry Potter. This parody actually talked about Harry Potter books in altered form. "The Sorceror's Stoned," The Secreting Chamber Pot," "Pain in the Assaskaban,""Ommelete of Fire," "the Border of the Phoenix," "The Half-Drunk Wimp," and "The Deathly Boring" all contained in this one 50 page parody.
I found story fun to read. I laughed at many of references to Harry Potter like school of Nosewarts. This was not story for everyone. It though was filled with humor. I loved art by Rick Parker. This story just helped fill in some time during period no longer contained by new Harry Potter books.
There are also other Slice Parodies.

Breaking Down
Wrote by Maia Kinney-Petrucha & Stefan Petrucha
Artist: Rick Parker

Parody about Twilight series books. Unauthorized Parody. Copywrite 2011.
This time.
Nightlight
Too soon
Ellipses
Breaking Down

Again similar named characters but yet new.
Characters Bleh-Bleh and Fredward are key characters. Other characters like J-Bob, a werewolf appear in 50 page story. I liked how references were even made to Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring book.
Will Bleh-Bleh have child?
Will Orphan Annie appear in "Breaking Down story or Daddy War Bucks? Will readers get to see Burt and Ernie from Sesame Street? Will there be a Winter time game straight out of Harry Potter? Would there be references to older Stefan Petrucha story called "Diary of a Stinky Kid"?
I guess just have to read story to find out. There are probably lots of other references to other stories that I missed in "Breaking Down" parody. Overall another fun book to read for joy of story. It again helped fill gap. No new Twilight books are being produced by Stephenie Meyer.

The Hunger Pains
Author Stefan Petrucha
Copywrite - 2012

Graphic novel is satire or parody of The Hunger Games. 54 page story.
I enjoyed how story picked fun of The Hunger Games. There were cameos from The Tin Man, The Lion , Santa Clause, The cast of Glee, The Pillsbury Doughboy, President Snow Globe and others. Many characters again had similar names to ones from The Hunger Games. I also liked how mixed in information dating back to Harry Potty and the Deathly Boring.
There was a contest in The Hunger Pains which gets contestants on the annual "The Day of the Deleting".
Quote:Each year two kids are chosen from each ditch for the televised battle to the death! It's like a video game only when you die you do not get up. "and it has nothing to do with the myth of Theseus, Lord of the Flies. Battle Royale most dangerous game Naked Prey, The Running Man, The Long Walk, Death Race 2000, Rollerball, Survivor or Gilligan's Island . end of quote.
I liked how story had similar thoughts about candidates being picked for The Day of Deleting Contest. It was just wrote more fun in The Hunger Pains. Same idea just different.
I even noticed Robbie the Robot in one scene. The Mockingbird in The Hunger Pains was a Hockingjay. A crossbred Hockey Player with a Jaybird. The government hoped to create flying soldiers.
The Hunger Pains again quickly went through books in The Hunger Pains series.
I had lots of fun seeing way games progressed. There was key element told before games started. I suppose would be no fun though if I told about game in The Hunger Pains.
I enjoyed parody. It also showed Stefan Petrucha's gift of story telling. It was fun to read story based on Susan Collin's The Hunger Games. This story like Harry Potty, Breaking Down, and Percy Jackson are Unauthorized Parodies.

I look forward to reading next book in the series called "The Farting Dead."

The Farting Dead
Papercutz Slice story
Age group: For Zombie - lovers 10 and up
Cost 7.99
Writer: Stefan Petrucha

Parody of The Walking Dead. Story also includes Bonus Feature showing how story was created with a batch of actual script pages from the comic book story.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000