Don Smith, "Navy" comic book writer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Interview with writer: Don Smith

Comic Book: "American Defenders Navy" # 1

Publisher: Bluewater Comics

Publication date: August 2013

Cost 3.99

32 pages

Allen: I have interviewed you several times in the past. Welcome back to Jazma Online, Don Smith.

Don Smith: Allen, you have been amazing! Jazma is great and I love what you guys do here! You really give a voice to the independent comic book creator! Thank you!

Allen: I noticed you have been busy with new comic book called "American Defenders: The Navy". Tell me about how idea came up to write this story.

Don Smith: Well, after I did "American Defenders: The Army" and it made sense to continue on. After "The Navy," you will see a comic on the Marines and the Air Force and the reason I did this was because the history of the U.S. military is amazing and it deserved to be brought to life in comic book form.

Allen: What sort of things are you going to try to cover in "American Defenders Navy" story?

Don Smith: We talk about the history of the U.s. from the perspective of the Navy. We discuss how they were used in the American Revolution, John Paul Jones, the first steam powered naval cruiser, the history of the submarines in military use and even a tragedy or two the Navy endured.

But I also show how the Navy may get knocked down, but it bounces back.

Allen: As you wrote the story, was there person or persons that stood out?

Don Smith: The problem with writing this story was the amount of people, individuals who made the Navy what it is, but if I had to pick, I loved John Paul Jones's contribution and I enjoyed the little bit I wrote about the first submarine the Turtle.

Allen: What sort of things did you do to research American Defenders Navy" story?

Don Smith: I went to the library and read everything I could on the Navy. I got book after book after book. I also was on the Navy's web site and I spent a ton of time on several American history sites.

That was a major help!

Allen: Did you ever join the US armed forces?

Don Smith: Sadly, no. In fact, I used to joke if I did join military I would be the best weapon for the enemy.

I know if I was given a machine gun, more American soldiers would have been wounded from me than from the enemy.

Allen: Tell me about the artist for "American Defenders Navy" comic book.

Don Smith: I can not begin to say enough nice things about David Alabarcez. This is actually the third time I have worked with him on a project and he is one of the best artists out there.

I genuinely would work with him again.

He has a style very similar to Mike Mignola but with more detail to it. He is amazing!

Allen: What do you like most about working as writer for Bluewater Comics?

Don Smith: Darren Davis is a great guy to work with. Whenever I needed anything he helps me out and he points me in the right direction with a story.

Allen: What sort of other comics do you have planned in future?

Don Smith: Right now I am working on my first independently published comic book called "The Vampire of the Lost Highway." I am also busy working on "Ghost Investigator #2" with the amazing Paul Benincasa and I should have some word about the status of a comic book about UFO abductions.

Allen: What is the best way to get copy of "American Defenders Navy" comic book?

Don Smith: The best way to get a copy is to go to Comic Flea Market, but here is the link:

http://www.comicfleamarket.com/servlet/the-435/American-Defenders-cln--The-Navy/Detail

Allen: What is the best way to contact you?

Don Smith: The best way would be through my web site: http://donsmithwrites.wordpress.com or http://www.facebook.com/donsmithwrites .

Allen: Thank you Don Smith for working with me on new interview. Would you like to leave readers with any closing thoughts about American Defenders "American Defenders Navy" comic book?

Don Smith: First, thank you again for this, Allen! You are always very kind. Second, the men of the U.S. Navy deserve a lot of credit for their time and sacrifice for our country. Third, I hope someone will read some small part of the comic (ie. the Turtle or John Paul Jones) and it will inspire them to read further into American history.

Thanks again!

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000