The Puppy Sister book review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

I read book by S.E. Hinton from library. The 122 page book was published in 1995 by Delacourte Press. Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group. The book was illustrated by Jacqueline Rogers.

I heard about this book few years ago. Bluewater Productions did comic book version of story.

Story was geared more towards children. Although, I as adult enjoyed story very much.

It had magical feel to story.

The dog in story was named Aleasha. It was Australian shepherds dog. The puppy was adopted by family named the Davidson's. The puppy craves to be a person. Somehow through time actually transforms into girl. Story shows perseverance to try to become real person.
Nick is boy child of Mom and Dad Davidson. It is him that Aleasha wants to be person with.
There are so many wonderful scenes like Nick and Aleasha going trick or treating. Scenes of Aleasha being tricked to eat vegetables for supper. Scenes of talking to family cat "Ms. Kitty".
There were many other enjoyable scenes like seeing Aleasha fetch baseball at game.
I felt S.E. Hinton did wonderful job telling "The Puppy Sister" book. I also loved illustrations throughout book. I was happy to notice S.E. Hinton allowed Bluewater Productions to create one issue comic book about novel. I really enjoyed book. I would suggest picking up book from library.
S.E. Hinton is the author of the young adult novels The Outsiders; That was Then, This is Now; Rumble Fish; Tex; and Taming the Star Runner- all of where chosen as Best Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association among other honors. She has written a picture book, Big David, also published by Delacorte Press.
I think The Puppy Sister would make great "Twilight Zone" episode.

Here is interview I did with Don Smith in 2009 about "The Puppy Sister" comic book
http://www.jazmaonline.com/interviews/interviews2009.asp?intID=515

Bluewater Productions graphic novel about "The Puppy Sister" can be found at this link. It costs 9.99.
http://www.comicfleamarket.com/servlet/the-534/SE-Hinton%27s-The-Puppy/Detail
Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000