Showcase Presents: Shazam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  2:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Showcase Presents: Shazam Volume One
Stories and Covers for 1970's issues 1 through 33
Publisher: DC Comics (2006)
reprints
cost: 16.99 USA 22.99 Canada
ISBN number: 781401 210892

I have been able to read older comic books in collected versions at low costs. I just got Shazam volume one from library. I recall reading Shazam stories as child in 1970's. This volume has over 500 pages. It also contains cover art for each individual issue. The main character is adolescent newscaster Billy Batson. He is given powers of six elder gods. Whenever he speaks the name of the ancient Egyptian wizard SHAZAM he becomes with a crack of thunder and magical lightning Captain Marvel, the world's mightiest mortal.
With the wisdom of SOLOMON, the strength of HERCULES, the stamina of ATLAS, the power of ZUES, and the speed of MERCURY.
The Marvel family is in many of issues. They battle people like Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, Mr. Mind and the Monster Society of Evil.
I liked seeing Tawky Tawny tiger in some pages. I really enjoyed story "Mr. Tawny's Big Game"
I liked stories which contained character Mr. Mind. There was even story where Mr. Mind (who is a worm genius from distant planet) worked with Lex Luthor to try to defeat Captain Marvel.
Included in volume one were also stories from 1970's 100 page Shazam stories which cost 60 cents each at that time. I still recall buying issues from local store in my home town as kid.
I loved seeing Mary Marvel Captain Marvel Jr. and Uncle Marvel in stories.
Issue # 20 even contained scenes with Santa Claus. Story involved Sivanas. They did not like Christmas and sped up time.
I enjoyed art. Artist C. C. Beck was artist for many of stories in first 9 issues. It was great to see artist from 1940's able to do some of newer series stories. He was artist and co-creator of Shazam. There were many writers which worked on 1970's series. Some of them include Denny O Neal, Elliot Maggin, E. Nelson Bridwell.
I am really enjoying Shazam stories. I still have few issues to read. This is great way to read old stories. I am sure would cost many dolars to get all older Shazam issues from comic book conventions or through e-Bay. Library is very cost effective option. The issues are black and white. This is just so do not go in expecting color from SHOWCASE volumes.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000