The Chronicles of Conan reprint Marvel stories DH
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
309 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  2:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

The Chronicles of Conan:
Reprinting Marvel Comic stories
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Cost 15.95

I was over joyed to find that Dark Horse Comics has been reprinting older 1970's Conan stories. I liked Dark Horse version better than The Essential Conan the Barbarian collection from Marvel. Essential Conan contained first 25 issues of series. Stories though were in black and white. The Chronicles of Conan collected about 6 issues in each volume. I liked fact series in The Chronicles of Conan are in color.
I liked reading stories which were first wrote about in Robert E. Howard pulp fiction stories. I have enjoyed so far first three Volumes of The Chronicles of Conan. I really appreciated effort so far put into first 22 issues collected in three volumes. Conan lived in Hyborian age. He was from Cimmeria. He had many adventures drawn skillfully by Barry Windsor Smith, Gil Kane and later by John Buscema. The stories were wrote by Roy Thomas based on material from Robert E. Howard. I liked adventures Conan was always getting himself into. The stories seemed to interconnect pretty well with older issues in series.
There were Wizards, giant spiders and an ancient elephant in some of the stories. Conan was about 20 in most of the stories. He was noted for excellent sword skills. He also had very hard head. He got hit in head several times by clubs during first 22 issues. He always survived injuries. He was even shot by arrow in one issue and managed to survive.
I feel one of my favorite stories was Tower of The Elephant in issue # 4 contained in volume one. I also really liked "The Frost King's Daughter in volume 2.
I appreciated fact that Roy Thomas did After Words section in each volume. It was interesting to read about how each issue was conceived to production of story. It was refreshing to find out how Conan rights were given to Marvel Comics from REH estate. I was amazed by effort artists put into stories in first 22 issues. I had never read any issue earlier than issue # 88. I intend on reading more volumes of The Chronicles of Conan. I have been reading stories through library inter loan program.
I look forward to future volumes involving Belet and Red Sonja.
I like that Conan does not have super powers. He is from age of Wizards. He is from the time between the sinking of Atlantis and the dawn of recorded time. He was born on a battle field. He ventured into world as young adult and fought many challenges. He fought many battles with multiple enemies. Conan though did not have powers of Wizards. He fought with great human power.
He also was greatly skilled as thief. He survived in very difficult times. It seemed like there were many enemies human and non human in stories.
The Chronicles of Conan volumes are published from Dark Horse Comics. Volume one through three were published in 2003.
website
www.darkhorse.com

I have been reading more Chronicles of Conan Volumes. I am presently reading book eight. I think 16 books of reprints are published as total. I just ordered books 9,10 and 11 from library. I am just about to start stories "Queen of the Black Coast". Books are very graphic with lots of fighting. Books do not only contain stories by Robert E. Howard some stories are from book writers like John Gardner. I have been amazed by some of individuals who helped with stories like John Jakes. John Buscema has been working on art for last several years of stories. He took over for Barry Windsor Smith. I love details John puts into scenes for Conan comic. I am about to issue # 60 of old series. Roy Thomas is still writer. He also does wonderful job with Afterwards sections.
I have been reading Chronicles of Conan for many weeks. There were 16 volumes. There were couple of issue that were not reprinted. Most of first 126 issues were reprinted in color. Roy Thomas wrote first 10 years of stories.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000