Marvel Essentials
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share
I have been reading plenty of older Marvel comic books in black and white format from library.
I recently read Silver Surfer Vol. One trade paperback. ESSENTIASL SILVER SURFER VOLUME ONE
ISBN 0-7851-2008-4
I really enjoyed reading old 1960's stories told in issues 1-18 of series. I was not old enough to read stories when first came out at comic book stands. It is refreshing to read back story about Silver Surfer.

I also have been reading several of Fantastic Four Essential volumes one and two. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were terrific team on old 1960's stories. I got to read about The Mole Man, The Puppet Master, Skrulls, Doctor Doom and many other challengers fighting against Fantastic Four. I also got to read about the origin of Fantastic Four. I think some of my favorite story was where The Thing fought the Hulk. The Avengers also made appearance in story. It was two part story. Hard to recall exact issues. I read stories over year ago from library.
vol. one ISBN (0-7851-1828-4)
vol. 2 ISBN ( 0-7851-0731-2)
cost at time of publication was 16.99 per vol.
Each volume contained about 24 issues of first series.

I also have been reading Essential vol. one "MS. MARVEL"
Volume contained
MS. Marvel # 1-23, Marvel Super-Heroes Magazine # 10-11 & Avengers Annual # 10.

Gerry Conway conceived the idea to create Ms. Marvel. Her origin happened in Captain Marvel # 18. First issue was drawn by John Buscema. John also did art for many of Conan issues already talked about in my thread about The Chronicles of Conan. John Buscema and Jack Kirby are two of my favorite artists. Ms. Marvel first series comics were published in 1970's. Comics cost 30 cents. When series ended cost was 35 cents an issue.
I really enjoyed how series worked into Marvel universe. Carol Danvers used to be Cape Kennedy security chief from Captain Marvel 1-18. In Ms. Marvel series she worked for Daily Bugle as editor for new magazine called "WOMAN".
J. Jonah Jameson and Carol never really saw eye to eye for direction magazine should be told.
There were other artists that worked on comic like Jim Mooney Keith Pollard, Sal Buscema, Carman Infanto, Dave Cockrum and Mike Vosburg.
I think series really started to click when Chris Claremont took over as writer in issue 3.
I really enjoyed reading Ms. Marvel series. She did not have unbeatable powers. She could fly. She had powers passed onto her from Captain Marvel. She had secret identity of Carol Danvers. She battled characters as Ms. Marvel like Tiger Shark, Ronan, Hecate and The Ellementals, Deathbird. Raven and appearance of Rogue happened in Ms. Marvel series. I even got to see new costume design for Ms. Marvel in issue # 20.
The ISBN # is 0-7851-2499-3
cost at time of publication was 16.99

I have been recently reading more Fantastic Four Marvel Essentials. I have now read up to issue 137. I am still stunned by art of Jack Kirby. Stan Lee was still very active with scripts through early 100 issues. My favorite issue was # 74. Galactus needed Silver Surfer to help him feed hunger. I think that might be my favorite issue. I liked seeing Guest stars in other issues like Kree Sentries, Ronin, Inhumans. I loved craziness of group having individual human relationships like Reed and Sue Richard child. Ben Grimm and Torch having separate girl friend problems. It was also fun to read Essentials through library. I could never afford to buy old issues. All stories in vol. 5-7 are again black and white.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000