"Back to Barron" by Daniel E. Van Tassel review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Book: Back to Barron Life in the Heartland and Mid-Century
ISBN: 0-87839-271-8
ISBN- 13:978-0-87839-271-1
Cost $14.95
Publisher: North Star Press of St. Cloud, Inc
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Year published: 2008

I found this rather interesting 135 page story at Barron, Wi. library. I enjoyed story very much. It was not comic book. Story was wrote about my home town by Daniel E. Van Tassel. He wrote story about his childhood in Barron in 1940's and 50's. I found book really interesting. It was fun to see through authors eyes town that he had grown up. It was interesting to read about old stores that are no longer in existence. I liked reading about some of the people that he grew up with. Book was like going back in time machine to age before I was born. Author took me into buildings that are no longer in present day community. Author did not create imaginary town like Castle Rock or Alice going through the looking glass. He helped me see things that shaped his life like going to the treat shop in town called Jack Sprat. The store had a rack of comics like "Archie," "Superman," "Popeye," and "Little Audrey" Author mentioned they all looked intriguing and sold at a dime a piece.
He talked also about swimming places in town in Anderson Park where kids had fun during summer time.
What I really enjoyed about story was how author mixed present time facts with past. An example, mention now that can no longer swim in Yellow River swimming pool. Barron has had since my childhood in 1970's a clean chlorinated pool.
Barron even had theater named "The Majestic". Cost of movies only cost 12 cents in Daniel's childhood. Now theater is clothing and thrift shop named "Cupboard and Closet". I appreciated that book even included some photos of location of "The Majestic".
The book was filled with 26 short chapters. It felt like trip down memory lane.
I appreciated that author took time to write about his childhood in Barron. I got to read what it was like for Van Tassel family to get one of first televisions in Barron. Black and white 17 inch TV which needed antenna. Family was religious. Daniel lived in a Parsonage. His father was minister at First Lutheran at Barron.
Thank you Daniel E. Van Tassel for writing story about time before I was born in Barron.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000