The Death of Archie Andrews
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  1:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

The Death of Archie "A Life Celebrated"
Published by: Archie Comics Publications, Inc.
325 Fayette Avenue, Mamaroneck, New York 10543-2318
Copyright 2014
Written by Paul Kupperberg
Pencils by Pat Kennedy, Tim Kennedy, and Fernando Ruiz
Inks by Jim Amash, Bob Smith and Gary Martin
Graphic novel contains story Life With Archie # 36
Cost 14.99 U.S./ 15.99 Canada

The story happens in Riverdale. Archie Andrews is in his 20's. He is married. Life is for more mature Archie comic readers. There is gay character in story named Kevin Keller. Archie was friends with Kevin. The loves of Archie's life were also in story, Betty and Veronica. The story showed how Archie made the ultimate sacrifice to save Kevin from assassin. Kevin is Senator in story making political stop in Riverdale at Jughead's Chocklit Shoppe. There are intermixes throughout story of Archie taking trips down Memory Lane. Readers get to see some of the influences that shaped Archie's life around Riverdale.
The Soda Shoppe was once owned by "Pop's". Generation has moved on with Jughead Jones now owning establishment.
Story showed much more mature Archie. He even had dreams of what it would be like to have children 20 years from now. I was stunned when first heard that Archie was going to die in comic book. I had been reading articles about pending death on the internet. I had hard time finding comic book for issue # 36 in local store that sold comic books. I had to wait until could get copy of graphic novel through library.
Archie dies in story. He is shot by assassin attempting to kill Kevin Keller. Archie was comic book character for 75 years. His death was hard for me to take. I cried when Archie died in Jughead's arms. Blood was all over place Archie had fallen on floor of Malt Shoppe. Friends and family surrounded him as he died.
The graphic novel also contained "One year later Riverdale story." It was told with compassion and love. I felt feeling of Archie's departure from life. I also felt how there could be new generation of kids similar to Archie, Veronica and Betty. New children to maybe enjoy other Riverdale stories.
The graphic novel also contained essays by Victor Gorelick, Archie Comics Co-President/ Editor-in Chief and Jon Goldwater Publisher/ Co-CEO. There also was interesting essay about some of history of Archie comic book stories. I also liked seeing what variant covers looked like for "The Life of Archie" # 36. I also liked how artist for each cover was able to give some input about feeling about their personal covers.
Archie is only gone in Life Of Archie story. He will still live on in digest books. He is only gone in more mature story inspired by Archie Wedding Series originated by Michael Uslan.
Richard Vasseur also posted information about story at this link.
http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6943

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000