Stan Lee A Marvelous Memoir
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2015 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Graphic Novel Book Title: AMAZING FANTASTIC INCREDIBLE: A MARVELOUS MEMOIR
Authors STAN LEE with Peter David and art by Colleen Doran with contributions from POW! Entertainment
Publication year: 2015
The art team has donated a portion of the proceeds for the book to the Hero Initiative an organization dedicated to supporting cartoonists in need. Learn more at:
www.heroinitiative.org
ISBN 978-1-5011-0772-6
ISBN 978-1-5011- 0777-1 (e-Book)
Publisher: TOUCHDOWN
An imprint of Simon and Schuster, INC.
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
Review by Allen Klingelhoets

I read this comic book graphic novel. I really enjoyed story about Stan Lee. It was told first person. Stan Lee felt like he was waiting long time to tell his story. It was told front present time looking backward on his history. Some parts were very sad. He talked about how he first got start in comic book industry. He talked about in time in armed service during WWII. He talked about his time working with Jack Kirby and other early comic book creators. He talked about death of daughter. How he got idea for Fantastic Four and other comic book characters. He talked about some of work he did for armed services. He never really saw any combat. He even talked about poster he created during WWII to help soldiers be aware of VD. These were all in his early 20 years.
He talked about life when returned to comic book (Timely)industry. Stan also talked about how he met his future wife Joan. He talked about how Comic Code was brought about setting standard for violence shown in comic book stories. Entire memoir had amazing colors to go with Stan's memories.
He talked about how comic book stories were created using Marvel style. Stan would sometimes just write short story idea. Story idea would be translated by artist like Jake Kirby or maybe Steve Ditko. When Stan would see art he would then fill in script. Stan was very prolific in 1960' and into 1970's. He created many series like Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four. There were many more series he created like Thor and Doctor Strange.
Stan talked about how he went against Comic Book Code to create Spider-Man multi part story about drug addiction. The Memoir talked about his time when moved to California to work on Marvel TV projects. He talked about differences with Steve Ditko. Steve was co-creator of Spider-Man. He told many very personal things about years working at Marvel. He even talked about family and his own children.
Stan talked about his feelings about old Bill Bixby "The Incredible Hulk" television show. He even mentioned feeling how felt when Dare Devil and Thor appeared in episode of "The Incredible Hulk". Characters did not have feel of comic book versions. Dare Devil did not even have trade mark horns. Thor was not even called God of Thunder.
Stan also talked about his appearances in Marvel comic book related movies. I always like to see his cameos in movies. Colleen Doran was even able to show images of Stan Lee recent cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron movie.
I really appreciated this Memoir. It cost 30 dollars. It is hard covered and about 150 pages. I actually just asked for story from my local library.
This is quote by Stan Lee on back cover:
"As Marvel just celebrated it's seventy-fifth anniversary, I thought maybe it was time for a look at my life in the one form it has never been, as a comic book- or, if you prefer, a graphic memoir. It strikes me as a horrendous oversight that I have not done this before! If I didn't know everything about my life already, I'd envy your voyage of discovery!"
Stan Lee

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000