Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2016 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Review by Allen Klingelhoets

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Year One
Author J. K. Rowling
Artist: Jim Kay
Text copy write 1997, 2015
New publication October, 2015
Arthur A Levine Books
An imprint of Scholastic Inc.
Cost 39.95
ISBN 978-0-545-79035-2

This book has same text as 1997 year one book published in 1997. What though make this book interesting is larger version book. It also contains red book marker. I had not read novel in nearly fifteen years. I loved stories twists and turns. It was fun to again go into Harry Potter's world. It was fun to see world again as envisioned by J. K. Rowling. What though really impressed me was Jim Kay's colorful illustrations which he put throughout story. I know this has same text as 1997 version. It was still a pure joy to see art of Potter's world envisioned by Jim Kay.
Jim Kay won the Kate Greenaway Metal in 2012 for his illustrations in A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.
Other year books are already planned. I want to also note prices are cheaper with search of internet sites like Amazon or other sources.

Coming up next: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
I am first giving thoughts from Publishers website.

im Kayís illustrations for Harry Potter and the Sorcererís Stone for Bloomsbury were totally spellbinding, original, and totally in the spirit of Harry Potter without ever looking too much like the movies or Kazu Kibuishiís covers. I was especially fond of his architectural designs (like this illustration of Hagridís Hut).

His second installment features the Weasley Ford Anglia on the cover, more Hagrid, and some really cool looking scientific illustrations of mandrakes and phoenixes. Side note: the license plate on the cover reads HOW782D but the one in the films is 7990 TD (and COS-207 on Pottermore). Is there a secret meaning? Someone speak Parseltongue at it!

Kayís Chamber of Secrets will have 115 new color images, and will be on sale October 4th in hardback. Are there any scenes youíre particularly excited to see illustrated? Iím looking forward to seeing Kayís take on Knockturn Alley (in contrast to his colorful and bustling Diagon Alley), the Slytherin common room, and, of course, the Chamber of Secrets.
My thoughts
It has been over 15 years since I read The Chamber of Secrets novel. I was engulfed with joy from John Kays illustrations. I was happy to see same illustrator as was in The Sorcerer's Stone. The text is exact same as in original version back in 1998. This story costs same as other book. I again got from my local library. I am going to attempt to contact John Kay. It would be fun to have him here at Jazma for interview. I really appreciated his effort to bring his art to The Chamber of Secrets. This is the second book in Harry Potter series first published by J.K. Rowling nearly 20 years ago. New version with was Kay illustrations was published in fall of 2016.

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000