Andrea Grant Writer/Model "Minx"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6740 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Andrea Grant
Writer/Model for Minx
Published by: Copious Amounts Press/Ardden
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur
Posted: 25/08/2016

Rich: How much is Minx's character is based on you?

Andrea: To know MINX is to know me, and to know me is to know that whatever MINX goes through, I’ve experienced in some way in my life.

Rich: What powers or abilities does Minx have?

Andrea: Native Americans believe that when we sleep part of our consciousness travels to another dimension that’s just as valid as our waking reality. Minx is able to “Enter Dreamtime” at will. She’s been trained as a warrior, and she has a supernatural pack of wolves that assist her in battle.

Rich: What one thing about the "Minx" graphic novels stands out the most for you?

Andrea: It’s meant a lot to be able to preserve Native myths from my own Coast Salish tribe, along with the mythologies of other cultures.

Rich: Who is that guy with the axe Minx is fighting?

Andrea: Ares, God of War.

Rich: How does one merge Native American mythology with contemporary fantasy?

Andrea: Many First Nation stories were lost in the transition from oral history to print. I believe there's an urgent need to share those narratives with the world in a contemporary, accessible format. By preserving and sharing the myths and narratives of my Coast Salish tribe, I hope to inspire others to become heroic characters in their own stories.

Rich: Who is the artist on "Minx" and how would you describe their art style?

Andrea: I’ve worked with 3 different artists: Rey Arzeno — who has always been able to capture the spirit of the characters Minx, Mike Williams — who sets up elaborate scenes, and Chris Royal — who has more of an anime style.

Rich: Who are some of the other characters in "Minx"?

Andrea: CHARACTERS:

MINX: Minx is a half-Native American woman who spent 7 years in a coma after a bite from a supernatural demon. In Dreamtime, she was trained as a warrior, and now travels between the waking world and the dream world. She leads a pack of guardian wolves (animal spirits) to protect the Natives who are under attack because of their magical connection to the energy grids of the earth. Minx has heightened agility, eyesight that gives her the ability to see the heat on people’s bodies, which means she can anticipate their movements and avoid their blows. FAMILY: Grandfather (dead), Father, and brother JACK.

PTOLEMY: The son of Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Ptolemy witnessed his parents being murdered, and vowed that if he were granted vengeance, he would serve ARES for eternity. In the waking world, the immortal Ptolemy is a famous art dealer. He is an energy drainer – the more people exalt him, the more he gains his own power and status. He plans to return Ares to power…then eventually take the throne himself.

ARES: This god of war is killing Natives in Dreamtime to gain control of the Earth’s ley lines. He and his demons have been hunting down the Natives in the hope of finding the key to their power.

THE EMPRESS: Queen of Dreamtime, the Empress symbolizes the dual forces of creation and destruction. She is maiden/mother/crone, a triple goddess of death and rebirth. She watches over the COMA-SLEEPERS, people called to sleep in the Dreamtime world until they are woken up to train as warriors… just as Minx was.

RHIANNON: Officially the last Oracle in existence, who moves between Dreamtime and the waking world. She owns a dive bar where Minx used to work pre-coma. Rhiannon knows everybody’s name, everybody’s drink, and everybody’s secrets.

DEZ: Rhiannon’s boyfriend, and a master of Destiny. He also moves between the two worlds.

Rich: How would you describe Minx's adventures?

Andrea: They say, “If you die in your dreams, you die in real life...”
For half-Native American Minx, this is not superstition - it is reality. Once a struggling young artist in New York City, Minx’s life is changed forever after suffering a vicious attack and slipping into a coma. But she doesn’t wake in the same world she left; rather, she finds herself in Dreamtime, the alternate reality that humans inhabit when they sleep. With this transition comes great revelation and profound responsibility as Minx evolves into a sophisticated warrior, charged with protecting people from a complex agenda that seeks to transform nightmares into realities and realities into nightmares. But Minx’s role as vigilante is not born from random coincidence: it is the result of elaborate conspiracy, ancient prophecy, and devastating betrayal...

Rich: What do you get out of writing poetry?

Andrea: It’s where it all began for me. Poetry is my heart.

Rich: What is Copious Consulting?

Andrea: A boutique digital agency that creates social media and written content for top brands (AKA my day job).

Rich: What will you be creating from your third Canada Council Arts Grant?

Andrea: This Canada Council Arts Grant is to write a memoir called BLEACH. I’m also working on adapting the MINX graphic novel series for TV.

Rich: Would you like to for real visit the world Minx lives in?

Andrea: I have a very vivid imagination and dream life, and in that way I get to visit…but if I woke up tomorrow and the sky was purple and unusual things began to happen, I would welcome it.

Rich: What would you like to accomplish next in your life?

Andrea: To write the next book!

Rich: How do you feel about all your fans of the "Minx" graphic novels?

Andrea: They are the BEST. I am blessed with intelligent fans who really appreciate the work.

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000