CHARMZ GETS EVEN MORE ROMANTIC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6394 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  06:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

CHARMZ GETS EVEN MORE ROMANTIC

Papercutz's Tween Imprint Adds "GFFs" & "Scarlet Rose" to Lineup, Mariah McCourt to Editorial Team

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Final_Charmz-300x111.png

NEW YORK, NY - While it’s official launch doesn’t take place until May, Papercutz’s new Charmz imprint is already adding new series and new creators, including a new role for New York Times best-selling author Mariah McCourt.

Charmz, a new graphic novel imprint devoted to romance focused fiction and squarely targeted at tween girls was already off to a strong start, with four new series launching this spring. But that’s just the jumping off point for one of the most ambitious comics publishing launches in recent memory. By the end of the year, the line will expand to six ongoing series. And the publisher has brought on an editorial “heavy hitter” naming McCourt as the line editor for the imprint.

“When Papercutz Publisher Terry Nantier and I decided to expand the line, we wanted to make sure that we got someone who understood the vision behind the imprint and was passionate about bringing more girls in to the comics market. After working with Mariah on STITCHED, we knew we had found the ideal candidate,” explained Papercutz Editor-in-Chief Jim Salicrup. “Her experience as an editor at Vertigo and IDW as well as her awesome writing skills make her the perfect fit for the job. Mariah’s worked with an amazing array of talent during her time in the industry and we look forward to bringing her unique editorial viewpoint to the Charmz line. I’ve always been impressed by her ability to discover and work with new talent, as well, and I think those skills will serve her well as we continue to expand the line.”

“The position is a great fit for me both personally and professionally,” enthused McCourt. “I’ve always been interested in seeing the market for graphic novels expand and that’s the ‘raison d’etre’ for Charmz. When Papercutz first approached me about working on a title for the Charmz imprint, I saw it as a great opportunity to create the kind of book I wish existed when I was a 13 year old. Heading up the imprint allows me to take that to the next level, making sure that our books are focused on the adventure & excitement that goes along with being a tween. I’d also describe myself as a ‘romance fiend and getting to work on a line of romance-focused books like this is right up my alley!”

McCourt’s appointment comes at a time of expansion for the fledgling imprint. In addition to the previously announced debut titles (supernatural romance STITCHED by McCourt & Aaron Alexovich, cosmic adventure ANA & THE COSMIC RACE by Amy Chu & Kata Kane, and European imports CHLOE and SWEETIES), Charmz will add two new series, GFFs and THE SCARLET ROSE, to its lineup this fall.

“GFFs is a really spectacular new book by Monica Gallagher and Kata Kane,” explained McCourt. “It’s the story of three teens who get involved with the supernatural and each other. Jake and Sophia live in a town where ghosts are common and many of the townspeople make a living helping spirits pass on. But when Sophia develops a crush on a girl ghost they’re trying to help, her old crush Jake realizes he may have feelings for Sophia as well. It’s a classic love triangle with a modern twist and a prime example of the kind of innovative stories we’re looking to tell at Charmz.It reminds me, in the best possible way of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a property I’m pretty familiar with) but the characters and situations are uniquely their own GFFs is the kind of relationship-driven adventure story that epitomizes the Charmz line.”

ScarletRose_-_presentation_Cover01.jpg

The other new title is THE SCARLET ROSE, the story of a female swashbuckler in 18th century France. When Maud sees her father murdered in front of her eyes, she decides to become a champion of justice like the famous “The Fox”. She dons the identity of “The Rose” and uses her sword fighting skills to rescue the innocent. Of course, it’s only a matter of time before she crosses paths with her hero. But what will she do when she finds out “The Fox” is a boy from court that she can’t stand?

The manga influenced series by Patricia Lyfoung is a huge bestseller in France and Papercutz publisher Terry Nantier expects a similar reception when the series makes its US debut. “I’ve had my eye on this series for quite a while,” noted Nantier. “And I’ve always wanted to publish it in English. It’s a natural fit for the Charmz line. Patricia’s art is absolutely stunning and I love the combination of romance, high adventure and dynamic action that she brings to the book. There really is nothing like this in the American market right now and I think it’s really going to make a splash when it hits the bookstores.”

Added McCourt, “Girls with swords? French noblemen? High Adventure? Swashbukling and romance is my jam.”

With its fresh editorial vision and expanding roster of innovative new series, Papercutz’s latest imprint is shaping up to not only be one of the most highly anticipated publishing debuts of 2017 but also the line that brings romance back to comics..

Get ready to be Charmzed!

ABOUT PAPERCUTZ & CHARMZ: Papercutz graphic novels for kids, tweens, and teens include a wide range of genres from humor, action adventure, mystery, and horror to favorite licensed characters. The Charmz imprint is dedicated to creating quality comics for tween girls and will debut in May 2017.

To find out more visit http://www.papercutz.com/

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000