Andi Ewington Writer "Freeway Fighter"Titan Comics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richv1
Jazma V.P.

Canada
6345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Richv1's Homepage  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

Andi Ewington
Writer for Freeway Fighter
Published by: Titan Comics
Interviewed by: Richard Vasseur/Jazma VP
Posted: 14/02/2017
www.titan-comics.com
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTs7BPOacHQ

Rich: How did you end up working at Titan Comics?

Andi: Networking and a huge slice of luck! I was trying to pull together funding for Freeway Fighter at the time and bumped into Chris Teather (of Titan) when I was visiting a book fair in London. I spoke briefly about the project and he said to keep him updated on its progress. The project moved forward rapidly and when all the funding and team were in place I formally pitched Freeway Fighter to Titan. It was a nervous wait for their response, but when they got back in touch it was all systems go! I have to give credit to Titan, their team have been very proactive in their approach to such an iconic brand.

Rich: What is the story line of "Freeway Fighter"?

Andi: It’s a prequel story of ‘how’ the famous Interceptor car from the gamebook winds up in an outpost called ‘New Hope’. We’re introduced to the original owner of the Interceptor, an I-400 racing driver called Bella De La Rosa. This mini-series focuses on the transformation the car goes through, from high octane racing car to lethal killing machine.

Rich: Who exactly is Ian Livingstone?

Andi: What a tough question! I guess to some he’s best known as the co-founder of Games Workshop who brought Dungeons & Dragons to Europe, to others he’s the co-creator of the epochal Fighting Fantasy gamebook series which defined reading in the 1980s, while a third group will know him better as the man who launched Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. To me, he’s the guy that helped shaped my formative years and ultimately inspired me to write.

Rich: What about this comic is unique?

Andi: This is the first time a book from the famous Fighting Fantasy brand has been interpreted into the comic form, that’s pretty special in my mind. Secondly, I also think the fact that we have a female racing driver in the ‘Lone Wolf’ role is pretty cool, setting it apart from the Mad Max franchise (which, for the record, I totally love). Finally, where we stand out is that the car has as much as important role to play as the characters, it’s almost a character in itself, something I’ve always looked for in stories of this genre. I mean, if you were on the road for so long with just a car for companion, wouldn’t you start talking to it? :-D

Rich: Who is the Freeway Fighter?

Andi: In the comic series that’s very much up to debate, on the surface it appears to be Bella De La Rosa, a 1-400 racing driver who drives the Interceptor. But without giving too much away, I think everyone in the story is a Freeway Fighter to a greater or lesser degree. If you’re asking about the Gamebooks, then my answer would have to be ‘You’.

Rich: You’re the writer on "Freeway Fighter" who is the artist and how well does their art mesh with your writing?

Andi: Simon Coleby is on art duties for Freeway Fighter, he’s got an amazing style with some real grit to his work. I’m fortunate that Simon and I have worked together as a ‘dynamic duo’ for a little while, both on the Dark Souls II and Just Cause 3 comics. I find we work well together and I’m constantly amazed how he manages to pour so much detail into his panels from my script.

Rich: Would you like to be the driver in "Freeway Fighter"?

Andi: The reckless part of me would, but then the sensible part would realise the great loss of life that goes hand-in-hand with this scenario. I think everyone toys with the idea of being the ‘lone survivor’ in a future, but nobody really wants that to happen.

Rich: How would you feel about doing more comics along the line of "Freeway Fighter"?

Andi: That’s the Holy Grail for me, I’m hoping that fans want more from the Freeway Fighter universe. I feel this mini-series only scratches the surface of a huge well of possibilities. If not Freeway Fighter, then I’d certainly want to see a Deathtrap Dungeon, Forest of Doom or City of Thieves comic in the future.

Rich: How has your writing improved over the years?

Andi: I like to believe I’m more confident in my writing style, self belief plays a huge part in growing as a creator. Freeway Fighter would bring my issue count into the mid thirties, that’s a good indicator that I’m doing something right.

Rich: What is "Red Dog" from 451 about?

Andi: I have always seen it as ‘Lassie in Space’. It’s a touching story of a boy, his robot dog and the fate of a distant mining colony on an inhospitable planet called Kirawan. Rob Cohen’s script has plenty of heart intertwined with tense action set pieces which is synonymous with his film work.

Rich: Before "Freeway Fighter" what were a few of the comics you worked on?

Andi: I’ve been working with 451 Media Group on most of their titles, including: Red Dog (with Rob Cohen), Exmortis (with the Williams Brothers), S6X (with George Pelecanos), Sunflower (with Mark Mallouk). Outside of that I self-published my Creator-owned title, Overrun, which I co-wrote with Matthew Woodley.

Rich: What comic that you have never written would you like to?

Andi: Anything from the Aliens universe, I’m a huge fan and already have planned out a story I want to develop.

Rich: If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Andi: Teleportation, I want to avoid having to use Southern Rail at any cost.

Rich: What would you like to say to those who have enjoyed reading your comics?

Andi: Thank you for taking a chance on something I wrote, if you enjoyed it, tell everyone! If you didn’t then maybe just keep that to yourself.

Richard Vasseur
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000