New interview with Mike Mantlo about Bill Mantlo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allen
Jazma Member

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Bookmark and Share

April 28, 2017

Interview with Mike Mantlo

Guardian to: Bill Mantlo

Creative Force for many Marvel comics in 1970's through early 1990's.

Interviewed by: Allen Klingelhoets
Jazma CEO

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamiteent/bill-mantlo-and-butch-guices-swords-of-the-swashbu

Allen: How are you doing at present time?

Mike: We're OK (my wife & I). Working hard on getting Bill moved down here to our property in Delaware. We've had a house (Mobile home) purchased & placed right next to ours, and have been busy renovating/retro-fitting it to make it completely safe, and handicapped accessible for Bill. We are very excited at the thought of him being able to spend the rest of his life with us!

Allen: I want to get right to it. How is your brother Bill Mantlo?

Mike: Bill is pretty much the same as he's been for nigh on 25 years now. He's stable, health-wise, but still severely compromised by his injury. It's a daily struggle, but we deal with the cards we've been dealt, and try to make the best of things every chance we get.

Allen: What does Bill think of new Guardians of the Galaxy movie?

Mike: Can't answer that one yet, as he's not seen it. He is going to have a private screening in his room at the Nursing Home next weekend. I know he has enjoyed all the trailers so far, so I'm guessing he's pretty excited about it.

Allen: Were there special plans made for Bill to see movie?

Mike: See my last answer. Yes, Marvel reached out to us and offered to have Bill get a private screening of the new movie, just like the last time. I can't even begin to thank them enough for all the kindness and respect they've shown Bill.

Allen: What do you think are some of Bill's favorite characters in new movie. What are some of your favorite characters?

Mike: Rocket, no question about it! Bill considers Rocket his "baby". I'm just as partial to the furry fury, but also like Drax and Nebula quite a bit.

Allen: What are some ways that people can help Bill?

Mike: By continuing to read the stories that he created, and letting him know how much they enjoy them. They can write letters/notes to Bill via the Bill Mantlo Support Fund, 11101 Salt Barn Rd, Laurel, DE 19956, or post comments on the "billmantlo.com" website. There is also the Bill Mantlo Facebook page, and I'd encourage all of his fans to join up....we could kinda make it into the MMMS--"Merry MANTLO Marching Society" (for those of you old enough to remember what that's about--lol).

Allen: What are some things that you would like people to know about Bill ?

Mike: Heck, that's a long list! Bill was, and is to this day, MY hero! He devoted his life to just causes, and defending the defenseless. He had an unbridled imagination, and thrilled at being able to entertain and enlighten his readers with the characters he brought to life, and the stories he (and they) had to tell.

Allen: What do you think people should remember about Bill's comic book stories?

Mike: From the feedback I've gotten over this past quarter of a century, that Bill was one hell of a writer! Marv Wolfman himself stated that Bill "saved Marvel comics in the 1980's" (at the Bill Fiinger Award ceremonies at SDCC2014). Bill was, as Marvel called themselves, literally a "house of ideas". There's no telling how many more quality tales he could have told!

Allen: What kind of things can Bill do at present time?

Mike: Sadly, not much. But I've made it my life's mission to ensure he's still able to smile, and laugh in the face of adversity! My wife adores him, and we do all that we can to make him as happy as possible.

Allen: How old is Bill?

Mike: He turned 65 last year.

Allen: Was person ever caught who hit Bill in accident. I think bicycle accident.

Mike: No, the driver was never apprehended. It was not a bicycle accident....Bill was rollerblading when he was run down by a car, thrown over the hood smashing his head against the windshield, and then thrown off the other side and smashing his head on the pavement when he landed. He was not wearing a helmet.

Allen: Does Bill like any sort of television shows?

Mike: Nope. None, nada, zilch.

Allen: Thank you so much for new interview.

Mike: You're very welcome, and as always, you are a good man, Mr. Klingelhoets!

link to kickstarter campaign for involving Bill Mantlo.

(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamiteent/bill-mantlo-and-butch-guices-swords-of-the-swashbu)

link to other Jazma interviews that I (Allen) did with Mike Mantlo.
http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6930

Jazma Field Marshal
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jazma Online Forum © 2000-2009 Jazma Online Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000